C22 - covert to transom rudder

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
timlabute

C22 - covert to transom rudder

Post by timlabute »

Hey guys, Tim here.

I was watching a video of some guys in a C22 gone coastal doing some whale watching. Cool vid. Anyhow, their C22 had the rudder/tiller relocated to a transom mount! Cool! Really opened up the cockpit.

They had to modify the main sheet so a frame was built inside/under the stern pulpit and the traveler relocated.

Have any of you guys done this? I searched google like crazy but cannot seem to find anyone. I messaged the guy on youtube and will let you know if he replies.

I would love some close up pics of how this was done as I am considering it.

As always, fair winds!
timlabute

Post by timlabute »

Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

I think the boat is a C 26, I have seen photos of a stern rudder in this forum. Having a inboard rudder has a lot of good points, do more sailing be for trying to relocate rudder.
timlabute

Post by timlabute »

Good call. I will do more sailing first. His write up says C22 and you can see the hump in the cockpit floor where his inboard rudder was. Just curious though, what pros/cons do you guys see to this modification?

I like the idea of sealing over the through hull as to me, every hole in a boat is one more thing to maintain and keep half an eye on
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Not trying to change your mind but you might consider steerage while under motor power. The outboard will have to be placed on one side or the other of the tiller. While this is not really an issue when underway there are some problems when motoring in tight quarters. IE when docking.

Your very slow speed manuvering will become very sluggish and difficult in any kind of weather. Especially when backing. If you put her in reverse and need to bend around a dock, your prop wash will no longer go over the rudder and the rudder will be almost usless. You will need to steer with the outboard itself until you are used to the new lack of control.

Again, once underway, NO PROBLEMS.

As suggested , sail more and maybe get on a catalina 25 or similar boat where the outboard is mounted off center and a stern mounted tiller is on center. Try docking her.

Scott
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

The board member with the stern rudder on a 22 is 'Wag4513'

A link to his reply on same question is at:
http://www.chryslersailors.com/discussi ... ight=#3472

You can send him a PM or email from there..

(yes, I know I'm a board search magician, but, please, hold your applause until the end of the entire show) 8)
timlabute

Post by timlabute »

Thanks guys. I have docked a similar set up. Grew up on my Dad's 76 Clipper. She was a 26ft with the starboard side motor well in the transom. Her rudder was transom mounted int he center. I remember her lack of maneuverability but even as a kid I could get her in the slip. I should post a pic for good measure. I loved that boat :)

Will post pic soon
timlabute

Post by timlabute »

Dad's Clipper

Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

Nice photo.

I have no experience with a rear mounted rudder on a keel boat, only dingies.

Thanks
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

thank you EE, I was looking for that post. An Captain Scott good info
Smier

Post by Smier »

The Starwind 22(same hull design as the chrysler) used a transom mounted rudder.

timlabute

Post by timlabute »

Excellent pic! Thanks! Does anyone have experience with this set up AND the traditional Chrysler thru hull rudder set up? Pros/Cons?

It seems like the transom set up makes much more sense to open up the cockpit more... Fair comparison?
Smier

Post by Smier »

I haven't gotten my Starwind in the water yet, but I will say that I generally steer with the outboard on my Compac 16(which has a similar setup) when under power. Personally, I haven't noticed any difference steering in reverse with the motor offset, but I also typically have the rudder tilted up due to the shallow waters near our dock anyway, so I'm not fighting the rudder attempting to steer the boat at the same time. Maybe this has an impact on handling at low speeds?
Having the motor offset to the side, and a center mounted rudder on the transom you must make sure you don't hit the prop with the rudder when maneuvering at the dock, which is another reason I generally steer with the motor while under power. I don't know if this will be an issue on my Starwind yet, it is considerably larger than my CP16, and the rudder and outboard may not interfere with each other at all hopefully. I would be happy to take any photos if they would help. The rudder assembly on the Starwind is huge, it dwarfs the rudder setup on my CP16. I have it stored in my basement, so I will try and post up a pic of the Starwind rudder assembly later today. I like the transom mounted rudder for its simplicity personally, but that's my personal preference, and I haven't been on a C22 to make an honest comparison that one is better than another...
timlabute

Post by timlabute »

Thanks. Good info :)

I am more just trying to get in to more projects and learn as much as I can. I do like the transom rudder for its simplicity also. One less hole in the boat is always a good thing. My only real concern with this is the cost. Buying a swing rudder for the transom seems to be no small task, unless I find one off an old boat in working condition.

The problem with the C22 is that the main sheet would interfere. It owuld nee to be relocated above the tiller.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

timlabute wrote:The problem with the C22 is that the main sheet would interfere. It owuld nee to be relocated above the tiller.
WAG4513's setup raises the traveler up above the usual location and over the tiller that way.

viewtopic.php?t=193

Sounds like Squint's is a similiar to the cabintop main sheet on the C26, triangular. Which is the same as was on my Cal21 as below

http://www3.sympatico.ca/sailpair/21stuff/rigpics.html
timlabute

Post by timlabute »

That is a very slick set up! I love it! Thanks for the info :)