Update on sunk 26

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
njerrell

Update on sunk 26

Post by njerrell »

Hello all,been awhile since ive posted, hope all are doing well,the boat is back in the water and every thing is holding very well,no leaks around my repair job,nobody more suprised than me on that one.I do however have a small amount of water coming in the bilge area,it fills to a certain level and just stops,when we pulled her out the keel was extended because the cable was broke,so we kind of forced it up when we put her on the trailer,after the repair and a not so professional bottom job i removed the caulking around the keel shoe and replaced it with 3M,i am wondering if when she went back in the keel shoe moved when the pressure came off and thats causing the leak? Havent really done much inside other than gut her,still trying to decide what i want to do in there, am thinking of changing a few things,also lost the sliding hatch and wash boards in the sinking so trying to fabricate a new one,thats not going so well,so she sits with a tarp covering the companionway.Well thats about all thats going on,hope everyone has a Merry Christmas!!
Nathan
Chrysler20%26

Marry X- To All

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

Good to have you On the water. Wish you the best.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

WOW!
Welcome back!

Hope all is well with your boat!!
Glad to hear the water is on the outside now!

Per old posts, I know you had photos posted on a site however that site is no longer sharing them. Maybe you have them posted somewhere else??

I'd be interesated in seeing them.

Sorry again about your pain but it is wonderfull to see you continuing through!!

Scott
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Scott,
Some are posted on EE's site Here

Nathan, I can't say for sure, but it seems as tho the keel shoe is an external feature on the C26 (except for the bolts that go into the boat to fasten the shoe to the keel pocket sides) and only "spans" the forward part of the keel pocket? Not sure it could leak, except thosse bolts.

Some of the boats had lead bars in foam under the salon sole for ballast, some are pellets in concrete. You may have some seepage from wet foam or concrete under there getting into that bilge area. Even tho there's a mini bulkhead between the ballast and the bilge, it isn't sealed off well.

It's hard to see that area without really gutting the sole all the way to the winch, but there are pics of that as well on EE's site. Pics here

EE always has a bit of water in there, never have figured out why. I've left a paper towel in strategic places under the sole to see what direction its coming from, and it is only wet if I leave it under the stern berth and it rains.

Given where I live, maybe its just humidity and condensation.

Anyway, carry on !

Glad she's afloat, I'm still adding the galley back to EE, as well as deciding how to really trick out the inside, so we'll both be making some sawdust this year, I guess !
ronc98

Post by ronc98 »

Welcome back to the top side of the water. I hope you guys down south get some rain this year!!!!
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Thanks EE,

All I can say is . . .

WOW.

Scott
njerrell

Post by njerrell »

Thanks for the encouragement,after reading your reply EE i got to thinking,the area im speaking of is not under the stern berth directly just in the deepest part around the keel pocket area,i have drawn the water out with a shop vac and it just gradually comes back,maybe a few gallons,when i put her back in i simply ran a rope down the bow,caught the keel,and tied off around the sheet winches to avoid the keel from dragging when launching and left it that way untill i get in and replace the cable,wonder if i dropped the keel down would the water run out? would that be a possibility?
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Oh, that's a toughie either way - keel up held by a line or down all the time. I don't think it will help the water issue either way tho.

Leaving it up supported by a line I'd worry about the line coming loose and the keel slamming down causing a hole in that keel trunk. Down I'd worry about it banging around with all the weight on the pin ! Just my two cents, but I'd want a spare line on there just in case !

The area you pump water from - you're sticking the vac in that little area under the stern floor just behind the cabin steps and pumping from right there or sort of under the steps ?
njerrell

Post by njerrell »

Im pumpimg it from under the stern floor behind the steps,like i said its not alot but id sure like to know where its coming from,the keel actually has two lines on it one is attached to the schakle where the cable is supposed to be,we did that when we raised her because she slid forward under the dock and we had to bring the keel up to slide her back, so that one is tied off and the line i used when she was on the trailer is around the winches.
Holiday

Post by Holiday »

When I bought Holiday it had a nice puddle in the same location that did not seem to be rising. I atributed this to deck leaks. After hauling the boat and keeping it under a tarp, I was still vacuming a little water out of this area for months. It finally dried up until my tarp became sun rotted and started to leak again. I have been working on rebeding everthing to stop the leaks before I put in a new interior. Looks like it's going to take a while.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Long winded here, apologies up front, but hopefully it will help.

A small visual aid here showing what is actually under that sole and where the bilge and keel pocket goes- it is probably bigger than one realizes until you've pulled the sole up and seen that it involves more than that area under the stern berth.

The area at the end of the green line goes under the white bulkhead - that small area under the stern berth and ladder is all you see normally but it does continue forward as you can tell. The bilge area under the cabin sole and near the winch slopes lower than under the stern berth, so even when that rear pumps dry, there's probably still water on either side of the keel pocket. (Trust me, if you ever are seeing a lot of water in the small stern berth bilge area, then the bottom of your plywood sole is wet. That's why EE's was rotted I believe.)

The red line is pointing to the aft end of the keel pocket. When you crank the keel all the way up and hear/feel a bump it seems to be the back of the keel hitting the top of the pocket right in here.

The blue line is pointing to the rear of the ballast pour. On EE there's about an inch of space between the top of the concrete and the bottom of the ply sole in the cabin. I think the pour stops about where the step up to the head is. Any water that gets under there could flow over the ballast pour and back to the bilge as well.

I'm thinking if you had the foam and lead bars ballast and if it got soaked in the incident, then water would gradually seep thru the foam into the front of the bilge area. It happened on EE even with a concrete pour - I cleaned the foam from gutted inside by climbing in with a pressure washer and going at it while running the bilge pump. That area seeped for ever ! The concrete seems very loose and pourous - possibly they dumped it in and didn't vibrate out the air pockets or pack it down solid.

The invisible line points to where I accidentally drilled a 1/4" hole in the hull exploring where the sole met the hull. (If you look just below the red line there's a small black spot - thats where it happened)

If you look at the page I mentioned in a post aboveyou see I made a large hatch that I can pull to see the whole area. Handy.

OK, class, that concludes C26 bilge 101. :wink: (Man, that EE can be long-winded)
njerrell

Post by njerrell »

Thanks for the visual and it wasnt too long winded!! :wink: so does this pose an immediate threat? is there a possible way for water to breach from the outside in this area? im thinking if there was a hole in the keel pocket itself it wouldnt just reach a certain level and stop it would keep on rising.i do still have all of my boat raising gear,just not the desire to use it anymore!!!! Thanks for all the input.
Nathan
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Not unless you had a hole in the hull, and since it rises to a certain level and quits, that's probably not it. What I'm thinking is just that you absorbed water under the cabin sole in the ballast, and it will take time to seep out and dry out.
keysskipper

Post by keysskipper »

Congrats on the refloat, nothing better than a floating boat, and nothing
better than puttering around in boats...sounds like you will putter for a while. Good Luck

EE thanks for C-26 Bilge lesson 101, how about 102 for the full keel, it seems I have a little water in a normally dry bilge, I applied barrier coat and two coats of Trinidad 18 months ago when we hauled her, we will haul again before Hurricane season...thats how we lost our Hunter, on the hard 8) KS
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Don't know nothing 'bout no full keels bilge area, I'd guess it looks the same as the swing, but the bump where the keel pocket sticks up is missing.

There is a great article on the swing keel in the (I think) Sept 2004 Good Old Boat. Author completely removed his sole, found wet foam, dug it all out, melted and recast the lead bars into shapes that fit lower in the ballast area (as opposed to being suspended in the foam). He also reworked the mast post terminus, and replaced the ply stiffeners along the sides of the keel trunk.
ronc98

Post by ronc98 »

Can you read the good old boats online or do you need to order them?
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Some are online, this one is not, but can be ordered - I have the issue, but can't find it

www.goodoldboats.com

The little job that grew
by Jim CraigheadThe little job that grew: Jim Craighead had a little wet spot around the mast on his Chrysler 26 Swing Keel. The discovery of a delaminated cabin sole led to casting his own lead ballast and much more. Keywords: molten lead, keel casting

Article Number: 2341
Issue: 38-sept/oct 04
Page No: 32-35
Read Online: Not Available Online