Moving the boat cross country

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Windwalker

Moving the boat cross country

Post by Windwalker »

I am relocating from North Carolina to Eastern Washington state, a move of about 2700 miles, and plan to take my Chrysler 26 with me. Does anyone have any recommendations for a company to tow my boat. My trailer is less then 10 years old and in excellent condition.
hotdot

Post by hotdot »

Back in 2005 when I sold my large sailboat a trucking company charged the buyer about $2500 to tow the boat from central florida to New york and that was after they had delivered a boat from N.Y. to florida.
I think if the trailer is good, the wheel bearings checked and tires with low miles the cheapest way would be to rent the largest U-Haul or Ryder truck and drive it yourself. Most of the big ones have a hitch on them, but I don't know the ball size. I suspect the trucking company will try to get you for at least $2.00 per mile based on an empty load comming back.
Good Luck
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

Eastern WA!??

What part, I'm in Spokane... Where do you plan to sail??
Windwalker

Plan to sail

Post by Windwalker »

I'm planning, at the moment and depending on economics, law, etc., to sail Lake Pend Oreille in northern Idaho.

I will also be in Spokane. Our plans have changed slightly and I am now planning to tow the boat myself. It will give me a chance to work on it while I wait for my family to sell the house and relocate.
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

Excellant choice!

Love that lake and have a slip in Bayview on the lakes south end and ~1 hr from spokane. I f you need anything or have questions, want some feedback etc, give a call, I'll PM you my phone #.

Look forward to having someone to sail with out there!

Billy
Windwalker

Post by Windwalker »

Thanks, Billy!

I will need all sorts of advice about the area, marinas, marine stores, re-registering the boat and the like.

I am always amazed by the number of Chrysler boats wherever I make port. If nothing else, it shows how durable they are, and how loved. The youngest boat is now 27 years old.
KGeist

Post by KGeist »

I used a service called U SHIP. Its online, you post what you have to ship where the item is located, where it needs to be shipped to and a date range when to ship it. The item is put out for bid to all of USHIP's members. I had my C26 shipped from Duluth to Columbus Ohio for $700.00. (bids ranged from 600.00 to 1600.00. Good Luck.