Ports-windows

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
mariner

Ports-windows

Post by mariner »

So, it's a dark and rainy day here in Cleveland and I'm on the Annemarie with my daughter watching a movie on the laptop and trying to figure out my winter projects and drips are comming through/around two of the ports actually looks like the rubber? Bedding seals are dried out.... So here it goes, I'm a restoration type of guy not a replacement kind , I was wondering has anyone pulled the oem ports out and replaced the windows, resealed and reinstalled? It looks like you could file off the Rivit heads that fasten the frames and perhapse remove the ports? Any thoughts are appreciated (besides just caulk them) thanks I look forward to hearing from you and about your experiences. I'm also thinking about removing all of the through hull Fasteners and fabricating stainless or aluminum backing plates and reinstalling, there is a bit of wiggle in the stern rails...
1976 - C22
"AnneMarie"
parared

Post by parared »

Hi,
The first thing I did with Dia was replace here windows. On my boat, the windows were all crazed. On mine, each window was comprised of a piece of plexiglass, help by two aluminum trim rings, which met at the top middle and bottom middle. The trim rings were screwed in, so I just removed the (10?) screws, and pried the windows out.

I removed the trim from the plexi. Be very careful with the trim, you are going to want it undamaged. I used the old plexiglas as a template to cut ( with a dremel cutoff wheel ) a matching new window. I then took a while to *really* clean off the trim. You want to remove every trace of calk or whatever.

Oh, I just remembered the gasket. There is a gasket that sits in the ring an snuggles the plexi. On my boat, this gasket was dead, and I could not find a source for the same thing. I ended up using regular window gasket that I inserted after I reassembled the whole window.

The hole the window fits in, at least on my boat, also had a bunch of calk that I needed to cut out.
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

You can drill the rivets out, mine were screwed though
Holiday

Post by Holiday »

I have found a gray vinyl glazing extrusion that is close to the orignial, Made by CR Lawrence Co.. It is just a little shallower than the aluminum frame. It will problably be spring before I get to try it out.
mariner

outside today

Post by mariner »

so it stopped raining and i looked outside and i too have philips head screws holding the outer aluminum frames in place, i'm going to try to take one of the ports apart, also am trying to get a sample ring of the rubber extrusions front cr laurence, has anyone cut new plastic for the windows ? if so what kind and where did you get it ? is there such a thing as tinted ? thanks
1976 - C22
"AnneMarie"
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

I replaced mine with tinted plexiglas from a local guy. The glass was thick enough I didn't need any gasket, just silicone.

Unscrewed, clean as above, careful with the frames, and I did some mods on clamps to hold the thing together, Not much room at the tips by the so I cut some grooves. It's a pain and 2 people job... by the time your done ya figure out how the best way to do it...

skyking

Post by skyking »

I have replaced the plex a glas in my C22 with the stuff that was on the shelf at Lowes. It was a few thousands thicker than what I had removed but considering the rubber seals were not in the greatest condition, it worked out great.

I saoked the seals in a bucket of hot water & lots of concentrated Marine wash, after a little scrubbing with a tooth brush they were good enough for a few more years :wink:

The metal frames were a little tighter going around the seal with the thicker glas....But It made one tight seal " NO LEAKS"

I took two 8 penny nails and inserted them through the screw holes in the window frame closest to where the two halves meet.

By doing this I was able to spread the frames enough to push them down over the new window.

Note: Since I only have two hands I placed the Window against my work bench, spread the fram by using the nails as handles & push against the frame with my Chest.....I suggest a pad for the chest...Unless you like bruses :(
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

I used a aviation product called Plexus.

I also tinted my windows with dark limo tint film... did a decent but not great job, I have the OEM curtains...they are in great condition but make the boat inside and outside look really dated..... I am in a marine with mostly new boats with all the mondern racy blacked out windows and low profile tinted hatches etc.... I got to freshen my look up a bit and will likely pull those old alum ovals out at some point and put in frameless tinted plexi with a racier profile ... I am looking for a nice moder forward hatch to retro fit first ... so it will all kinda fit the design.... I have the eraly foredeck with the "bullet" profile.. so I think with a few design upddates I canmake the c-26 look even more modern and racier but Ihave to be very careful in my choices...

anyone replce the original foward hatch?
C-26, Fixed Keel # 343
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

so funny.... but I hear yah!... maybe do a tie-dyed Geneoa!

Believe me... I am no hurry to do tons of hard work for simply cosmetic reasons.... but as I redo stuff... I think about updating the stylling.... as I pointed out in another thread...it is very odd.....the powerboat chryslers guys are all about painless restoration to have their runabouts look exactly as it came from the factory... but this forum is mostly about improvements and fix-ups etc. ... I guess I shouldn't cut up my OEM factory cradle or rip out my OEM factory curtains just yet...hmmmm..makin' me rethink..
C-26, Fixed Keel # 343