c22 sink valve

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
canoeman

c22 sink valve

Post by canoeman »

we have a leak in the compartment where there is a valve located in the starboard side of the boat. the sink slides over the area where we are taking on water. the compartment under the sink fills with water. has anybody had this problem with there 1977 c-22 and what is that valve used for?
2nd generation

Post by 2nd generation »

The valve is to drain the sink. I don't use mine but I have heard if the valve is left open when under way you can take on water thru it. Make sure it is closed and see what happens.
Mike
(former owner of) 1975 C-22 "Mel-O"
Andiron120
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Andiron120 »

My 1977 C 22 came without the sink valve, I don't think it came originally with the galley. I have had trouble with the same compartment filling with water also. I know it isn't the valve since there has never been one. I drilled three small holes in the bottom of the compartment and it now drains to the center walk. Not much but always some. I have redone the rudder tube and it seems to be dry. I suspect there is water getting between the hull and inner shell, possibly in the gas locker. Any ideas from the group would be appriciated here also. My point for mentioning this here is that the valve and through hull can be fine and you can still have this problem.
"I feel no need to go anywhere the ice gets larger than will fit in my glass"
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

Sounds like the thru hull may be leaking, or the valve is open and the hose clamp is not tight. My valve would not close tight and on port tack it would come all the way up through the hose and run to the back of the boat making me think the rudder post was leaking.

Andiron120..........how about a keel bracket leaking and water running between the inner lining and the hull. I know on the port side there were drain holes molded into the shell between all the compartments on that side on mine.
skyking

Post by skyking »

My sink valve was leaking around the thru the hull fitting.....I opted to remove the whole assembly and fiberglas in the hole in the hull, No More Leak :D

I dont use the sink any ways!!!!
Mario G

Post by Mario G »

I attatched my Attwood bilge pump to the thru hull fitting with a shut off valve. I also calked it with the 3M 5300 before splashing it.
robinsonzak

Post by robinsonzak »

Mine leaked like a sieve, for a quick repair I went to the hardware store and bought a sink plugger http://www.decorisland.com/product/moun ... olar-white, added some 3200 to the mix and left that in place until I had the time to grind and re-glass over that hole.
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

RobinsonZak,

That was an excellent work around, and cheep too.

Thanks
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

I just wish you would all stop talking about SINK and BOAT in the same sentence! LOL!!

Scott