C22 and 4HP outboard

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
trev
Site Admin
Site Admin

C22 and 4HP outboard

Post by trev »

Will a 4HP be big enough to move a C22? I will be mostly on lakes in Minnesota and an occasional trip around the great lakes? Thanks
77 C25
Myasis Dragon
http://www.svmyasisdragon.com
tnc110

Post by tnc110 »

I had a SMALL electric trolling motor before i got an outboard on my 22 and it worked fine so I would say a 4hp would be fine...
klassi1

Post by klassi1 »

Just put a new 8hp Nissan outboard on my C22. It has more than enough power for the lake I sail on. Not sure how much you would need on the Great Lakes.
klassi1
'77 C-22
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

I have a 4 hp, 4 strok Nissan, long shaft. I will move a C-20 & Mac. 25. But when you heading into a strong wind, you wont have the power. You need at lest a 5 hp extra long shaft.
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

I used a old 4 hp 2 stroke Johnson to move my C-22 about 12 miles. My boat had about 1000 lbs of sea life attached to the fouled bottom. It took me 12 hours as I was fighting the tide the last 5 miles. I did make it though. That little 4 hp moved me at a crawl with all that junk on the bottom but it got the job done.

I did not take it out again till I had a 9.9 hp Johnson. Honestly I think it's too big. Half speed and full speed is not that much differant in speed other then it's a lot louder and I get a truly impressive standing/rolling bow wave.

The 4 hp that I used was a friends and he pushes a 25 foot blablabla sail boat of some kind and it works just fine for him.

Thanks
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
Carl_IN_TX

4 HP Mercury 2 Stroke

Post by Carl_IN_TX »

I have a ten year old Mercury 4 HP two stroke outboard that works ok. It pushes my C22 at about 5 mph. I only use it to get in and out of the slip and a little way from the marina before raising the sails. There have been a few times when I was heading directly into the a strong wind on outboard power and the going was very slow. Then it would have been better to have had maybe a 6 hp motor.

Happy Sails to You,
Carl
78 C22 "Trekker"
BilltheSailer

6 HP for C22, and Prop Pitch?

Post by BilltheSailer »

Hello Chrysler Sailors.

The 4Hp for C22 is a great thread. Especially since I'm looking at purchasing a new outboard. I was thinking of the 8 HP Tohatsu and then because of the weight I had all but made up my mind to go with the 5 HP, when I saw that for another $90 I can upgrade to a 6 HP. Klassi, it sounds like you like your new 8HP engine. My C22 has an adjustable motor mount that I can lift up or down. I had a hard enough time lifting my old 4hp merc that I'm replacing. How have you found your new 8HP as far as weight?

Prop Pitch that comes w/ the new motor is a 7"-9". I thought I saw somewhere that sailboats do better with a different pitch. As I'm getting the motor new, I thought now might be the time to adjust the prop Pitch.

Any advice on 1) is it worth the $90 to go up a HP, and
2) what prop pitch should I be going with, or just stay with the stock 7"-9"

Thanks,
Bill
klassi1

Post by klassi1 »

Really like it. Love the electric start. It is a bit heavy. I would have been fine with a 6hp. But I got a really good deal so I'm not going to complain.
klassi1
'77 C-22
Gus

Post by Gus »

I think toahtsu (?) makes a 6hp and 8hp that they are basically the same motor with different carburetor.
1976 Chrysler 22 Halve Maen - Sail # 595
mariner

Post by mariner »

I just put on a new 9.8 electric start long shaft tohatsu, it replaces a chrysler sailor 6. (anyone need one?) The tohatsu is about 20 lbs heavier, I have not experienced anything negative so far, it is a very good motor, i bought it on line and it started right away out of the box!, at idol it pushes very well and throwing it in reverse full out brings the boat to a swift stop.. if i had to do it over i probably would have bought the 8 hp. but no complaints so far.
1976 - C22
"AnneMarie"
trev
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by trev »

Thanks for the replies. I decided to hold off on the 4HP and wait it out till I find a good 9.9, hopefully with a charging system, unfortunately new is not in the budget. Based on the replies I would probably be fine on the lakes but I plan on sailing the great lakes next year so I want the power to keep me off the rocks if I encounter heavy winds.
77 C25
Myasis Dragon
http://www.svmyasisdragon.com
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

I have a 4hp 4 stroke Johnson long shaft on my C-26 and works great in the hudson river. The only thing I have is small 3 blade prop not much thrust in reverse but if you come in slow and give distance to stop it is ok.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
goncken

Post by goncken »

I push my 22' with a Tohatsu 6, long shaft. It responds great and has power to spare. It pushes me a 6 mph according to my hand held gps.
Gus

Post by Gus »

I have an 9.9 Mercury, and I think its way too much engine. It weights a ton, and uses quite a bit of gas (2 strokes engine)
trev wrote:Thanks for the replies. I decided to hold off on the 4HP and wait it out till I find a good 9.9, hopefully with a charging system, unfortunately new is not in the budget. Based on the replies I would probably be fine on the lakes but I plan on sailing the great lakes next year so I want the power to keep me off the rocks if I encounter heavy winds.
1976 Chrysler 22 Halve Maen - Sail # 595