Checking in :)

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Gus

Checking in :)

Post by Gus »

Hello, I haven't been around for a while, and I'm happy to see the forum still around. I haven't used my boat since 2009 when I got home from Iraq. It is in need of some care and love, and hopefully before the weather gets too bad, I will get it to the boat yard to get it going. I hope to get it in the water before the next season, after all, I live in the coast :)

I got home from Afghanistan this past August, and I am still in the process of moving in to the new apartment.

Happy to be back!

Gus
1976 Chrysler 22 Halve Maen - Sail # 595
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

Welcome back Gus...Thank you for your service and the best for you in the future. We are still here, going strong and ready to offer all the advice you can stand !!!
Bill
Gus

Post by Gus »

Thanks! Hopefully this was my last time, 3 deployments is enough for a lifetime I think.

I've been around the block once or twice. I pretty much re-built my C-22 since I bought her in 2006. I was lucky she was in good shape when I got her (at least on the surface, underneath the gelcoat is another story).

Hopefully next week I can get her to the yard in Oriental, and have the guys at Sailcraft take a look, and hopefully tell me how much is it going to hurt me to get her back in shape.

I'm very happy to see the forum still going :)

Gus
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Checking in :)

Post by EmergencyExit »

Gus wrote:Happy to be back! Gus
Happy to hear you back !
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hp18carr »

Gus

As I live and breath... its been far too long. I tried to look you up in days past but to no avail. Hats off to you and the others who did their part and are doing their part in Iraq and Afghanistan. With both of us being listed as Wilmington N.C. it's a true embarrassmant that I've not put forth more of an effort to meet you in person. If you need another hand to help you get your C22 back into the water or someone to just talk boat (not that I would have a lot of experience to call on) just drop me a line. Again great to see you back and I think this Chrysler forum may well be around long after my sailing days are over. 8)

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26' 1980
Pandora (for now)
Gus

Post by Gus »

Hi Terrence!

Yes, I'm guilty of that too. Since late 2009 to early 2011, it was one crap storm after another. This last deployment didn't help neither, so I'm working on trying to get back to normal again. Have you gotten your 26 in the water yet? I was reading about you trying to sand the bottom paint. Be careful doing that, I got very sick from the dust. Eventually I used a paint remover, and a scrapper to get the thick out. I read somewhere they sell paint remover that comes in sheets you can apply, and then remove them without much fuss.

My number is 910-528-4041. Feel free to text or call anytime. I'm living 5 minutes from Castle Hayne, right off College Road.

Talk to you later!

Gus

hp18carr wrote:Gus

As I live and breath... its been far too long. I tried to look you up in days past but to no avail. Hats off to you and the others who did their part and are doing their part in Iraq and Afghanistan. With both of us being listed as Wilmington N.C. it's a true embarrassmant that I've not put forth more of an effort to meet you in person. If you need another hand to help you get your C22 back into the water or someone to just talk boat (not that I would have a lot of experience to call on) just drop me a line. Again great to see you back and I think this Chrysler forum may well be around long after my sailing days are over. 8)

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26' 1980
Pandora (for now)
Gus

Re: Checking in :)

Post by Gus »

Thanks EE :)
EmergencyExit wrote:
Gus wrote:Happy to be back! Gus
Happy to hear you back !
clair hofmann

Post by clair hofmann »

Hi Gus,
Welcome back.We've been missing your posts. Thanks for all you do for Our country. I just got back to Pa from Oriental about 2 hours ago. I don't have internet connection down there or I might have seen your post and been able to look you up. Will you sail from Oriental once you get your boat in shape? You Terrance and I will have to have a little get together either in Oriental or Willmington.
Clair
Gus

Post by Gus »

Hi!

I'm sorry I've been away for so long. I was sick, and then this deployment didn't make things better, but I'm trying to go back to 'normal' whatever that is. I'm still messing around with the C-22, thinking in moving up a bit, something in the 30's if the price is right.

Just let me know when you are down here again, and we can get together and eat dinner.

Tomorrow I'm helping bringing a sailboat from VA to NC, so I might be out of sight for a few :) The owner is a friend of mine, and he got the boat in NJ about 2 or 3 weeks ago (he got it out in time).

I hope to post some photos when I get back :)

Thanks again for your kind words!

Gus
clair hofmann wrote:Hi Gus,
Welcome back.We've been missing your posts. Thanks for all you do for Our country. I just got back to Pa from Oriental about 2 hours ago. I don't have internet connection down there or I might have seen your post and been able to look you up. Will you sail from Oriental once you get your boat in shape? You Terrance and I will have to have a little get together either in Oriental or Willmington.
Clair