Glue Tool

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
mcrandall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Glue Tool

Post by mcrandall »

I spoke a while back about using a diffent type of polyurethane then the 3M 5200. It's a lot cheaper (this 28 oz tube was $6), same material, it's just the ugly duckling cousin of 5200.

Well, we finally got some non-rain weather here, so I got a few jobs done on the boat. One big one was to seal the seam between hull and deck. I was getting water wicking up through there when the toe rail was in place. I decided to seal the seam at the fiberglass overlap and I'll likely do the same under the toerail.

The dilemma was in how to get the caulk up into the seam far enough to seal past the screw holes. Found an air driven grease gun on sale for $15. The gun shoots a metered amount of product with each pull of the trigger--very easy to control!

So, I made a nozzle out of a brass nipple that fit the threads on the grease gun. Cut off one end of the threads, heated it up with my mapp torch to keep splitting to a minimum, and tapped away with a hammer to pinch down the end. Ran a grinder over it to further taper and smooth the edges.

This nozzle easily pushed well up into the seam and the grease gun provided the rest of the work. As you can see, the caulk/adhesive fired well into the seam as evidenced by it's pushing out the screw holes as well.

Now, what about clean-up, you may ask. Well, my time is worth more than $15, so the greasegun was a one-use purchase from the get-go. First mate helped me with catching any blow-out, probably took us 30 mins including masking the hull with tape.

Sweet!
Mark
http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc4 ... ew%20C-22/
1975 C-22 currently named Stardust (soon to be "Angela Marie")
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Paul »

Effective, innovative, cheap - I like it!
Tranquil Chaos
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

I like it
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
Beady
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beady »

Great idea. While you are working on the boat my offer still stands to come down and sail; my boat is in the water and ready to go.
Brian Eady
77 C-22
Sail La Vie
mcrandall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mcrandall »

Thanks again, Brian!
Mark
Rivercruiser
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Rivercruiser »

Great idea. I like the 'no clean-up detail' part best :D
C-26
Hunter 29.5
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

Mark...I am now doing my toerail/deck to hull seal project. I wonder if you recall how many tubes of adhesive you had to use to do the complete boat all around?
Bill
dennyzen
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dennyzen »

I'm getting close to doing my hull-deck seam also. Probably after the 4th of July.

I asked him a similiar question if the tube attached or if he used the bulk load--like cutting the tube open and smuching it in the cannister of the gun. He does the latter, the bulk load and added that "Took two fills for me to do the entire boat, then the whole thing went in the trash." I did a little math and decided that it would take me 2-3 tubes of 4200 for the C-22. I think overestimated a bit. But I don't want to run out.

I decided on 4200, just on principle. Even though the PL construction stuff would probably be sufficient (I know folks who use it in wooden boat construction (mouseboats), I just couldn't bring myself to use it.

Will you be making one of your videos of your work? That will be a big help.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
1979 Chrysler 22--flatwater sailing on Lake Jacomo
mcrandall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mcrandall »

Bill-

Think I used 2-tubes. I used the bigguns though, 28 oz each. Good luck!

Mark
Mark
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Wow!
That is very cool!

Great job and THANKS FOR SHARING!

Scott
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

Yes I plan on doing video...I got the same Campell/Hausfield grease gun as Mark did...I got an even better deal...$12.99 on sale at the local Menards all purpose lumber store!!!

It will be a little while yet before I get to work though....almost dislocated my right index finger today at work....now swollen...Xrays show all is well...just gotta wait to heal, but Sailboaters like to heel, right???

well gotta get the finger back on ice....and maybe pour some Brandy over the ice too...better than Ibuprofen!!!
Bill
mcrandall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mcrandall »

Better living through chemistry, aye Bill?!

Menard's is the best. They send out the police if I'm not in for a visit at least once a week. Figure must be foul play if I'm not there!
Mark