Trailer Coupler Repair

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
N41EF

Trailer Coupler Repair

Post by N41EF »

Found this by accident and though I'd share. My C22 has a galvinized trailer and one of the weak point was the coupler that had major rust and operated poorly. Specificaly the latch that locks down when it's on the trailer ball would pop loose.

I had measured the size of the tounge and was in Northern Tools looking at all of the couplers they offer, thinking I could grind the welds on mine and replace just the coupler. I found a repair kit for 2 inch couplers made by Ultra-Tow part number 153172, for $8.99. All I had to do was remove the nut on bottom of the coupler, at which time everything full of rust fell on the floor. Pay attention to how it came apart I had to play with it to figure out how it works. The kit had the handle and shaft, weak spring on top, the ball coupler, the short spring, then the square washer, then the nut. This may be the best 9 bucks I've spent on the boat. On my coupler the shell is galvanized, everything else was rusted steel.

Just thought I'd share, hope all the northern members are staying warm, was just outside sanding my rudder wearing shorts and flip flops.
1979 C22 S/V Client Meeting
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

Thank you for sharing so everyone has the info. and yes it was 2F with a wind chill of -14F this morning and now is a balmy 15F with a wind chill of -2F
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
N41EF

Post by N41EF »

BRRRRRR! Just washed the Rover, the Smart and the Boxster, a little warmer and there will be a top down drive Monday.
1979 C22 S/V Client Meeting
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

good info on the coupler!

We just took our daughter back to school wich included going over a major pass around here. Hit heavy snow and just made it over before they changed it to changes required! Yikes! Came back today andagain, just made it over with the truck loaded with weight! Got home to find 4 inches of snow!

Yikes! It Never snows here! We are to get snow all week. Guess Lady Jo will sit without any attenton this week!.

Scott
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

My wife and I went snowshoeing today...got around 6 inches of fluffy white snow on Friday....it was the first real snow of the winter. Extremely late for this area...Kenosha, Wisconsin...Home of the 2012 Miss America...just hadda brag a bit!!!
Bill
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

wish we had snow as the frost shoots through the ground without the snow cover but the good thing I should be able to get the boat out of the back yard before it thaws if we don't get snow.
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

Ya is a strange winter here in the upper mid west, The snow blower has only been used once so far, and I had Robins in the yard on News Years day. A lease the ski areas can make snow.
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

last week we had temps in the 40's during the day and teens at night until Friday night.
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway