Wittnessed the end

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
clair hofmann

Wittnessed the end

Post by clair hofmann »

Just got back from NC. This retirement is great! Last Saturday we put the bikes in the truck and went in to ride around Oriental. We were riding and came to one of the boatyards. There in the parking lot among all the high priced sailboats for sail were the remains of a burgandy hull sailboat in the 25 to 27' range with the grappeler bucket of a skidsteer poised above it. I stared with interest as I rode by and saw it had a keel trunk. Then looking closer I saw it had keel shoes! Closer examination confirmed it was a C-26. Operations were stopped as someone was scavanging stuff from the remains. I looked it over and saw it had a perfect OE boarding ladder still on the stern! I went over to the operator and asked him if I had time to go get my truck and tools and take the ladder off. He said yea go ahead.Five minutes later I was back removing the ladder. I also scored the screens for the lazerett vents. They were'nt perfect but I had none. I gave the operator something for his time then watched the rest of the boat go into the dumpster.

The boat had wheel steering that all went in the dumpster. the rudder cheeks were still there but it looked like the boat had been dropped and the rudder shaft bent. It also had a conventional lift up motor mount on it centered on the tramsom. The transom appeared to be closed from the factory or someone did a good job of removing the OE motormount and sealing the hole. Anyone know if they discontinued the built in motor mount in the last years of production?

The keel trunk, keel and shoes all went in the dumpster. That killed me. I know what that keel weighed and what heavy scrap is paying. I really wanted the keel shoes but didn't want to hold the guy up any longer plus it might have gotten complicated getting them off.

It was a PA. registered boat that was damaged in Irene. It had the Chrysler logo in cursive instead of the block letters often seen. I didn't see what year it was, that chunk of the transom was already gone.

Clair
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

You hate to see those sort of things, but necessary sometimes - one of the things we've had to accept is that when we take EE to the coast that a hurricane may get her. We'll have a trailer, but you just can't run down there everytime Jim Cantore shows up ya know..
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

That is sad. I always hate to see a sailbot go away perminantly.
Glad you managed something off of her.

Scott
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hp18carr »

Just imagining the grappler bucket crushing the remains of the old girl gives me the shutters. :shock: Too bad there is not some type of donor card system for good old Chrysler sailboats that fall upon hard times.

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26' 1980
Pandora (for now)
thepartydog

Post by thepartydog »

the Chrysler Sailboat Preservation Fund?
Darin
"Ya Never Know"
1980 C26
thepartydog

Post by thepartydog »

My bad, EE and Capn Scott are making a great effort to personally cover that job.
Darin
"Ya Never Know"
1980 C26
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

thepartydog wrote:My bad, EE and Capn Scott are making a great effort to personally cover that job.
lol..
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

EmergencyExit wrote:
thepartydog wrote:My bad, EE and Capn Scott are making a great effort to personally cover that job.
lol..

What EE said . . .. . . :D

Scott
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Wittnessed the end

Post by EmergencyExit »

clair hofmann wrote: Anyone know if they discontinued the built in motor mount in the last years of production?
I haven't seen anything to show they removed it in production, but I've read a few accounts of C26 owners removing it and sealing it for offshore sailing - problems with following seas swamping into it..
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

My 26 was built in Aug of 1980 one of the last months built and I have the mount like all the others it might have been a diesel and they patched the bottom where the sail drive went through. just a thought but a bad way for a Chrysler to go.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
clair hofmann

Post by clair hofmann »

Good thought on the diesel. By the time I got there so much of the cabin ,deck ,etc.was in the bottom of the boat it was hard to see what might have been. The closed transom did appear to be OE.

Clair
tgentry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by tgentry »

My 1979 had the Chrysler script.
Tom
1981 Endeavour 43 s/v Pearl Lee
Former 1976 Columbia Payne 9.6 s/v Gin Rhumby
Former 1979 Chrysler 26, s/v Copacetic
http://www.asswhaffleyachtclub.net
http://www.svpearllee.com