Erection Bridles

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
J. Austin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Erection Bridles

Post by J. Austin »

Tom made a great suggestion to post some info on my own bridles. We will call them bridles to keep the erection snickers down to a minimum. :oops:

My bridles are approx. 24" long, that is, they are really 24.5" over all. The have a 1 1/4" id welded ring connecting them. They are made with wire s little more than 1/8". If I were to remake some, I would use 3/16" wire. I connect them to the toe rail with 3/16" screw shackle, which is around 1 1/2" id.

To explain the difference in lengths above and to see them in action I have picture links below. If I measure the bridle length with them taught between the welded ring an the screw shackle it is exactly 24". If I measure them overall while taught, they measure exactly 24.5". I hope this makes sense.

I hope this all makes sense. If not you'all know how to get a hold of me.

I used these bridles in the configuration you see in the pictures this weekend. Everything went so well I did it twice just to give myself and the first mate some confidence. I would like to thank all of you for all your help in getting to this monumentus occasion today. I felt like you were all there cheering me on. Much love,

http://s871.photobucket.com/albums/ab27 ... e/Bridles/
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward
jerecaustin.com
monty

Post by monty »

I like the idea of using the straps, very adjustable and affordable!
Messing About
78 C26D (I added the 'D' cause it's got the Volvo diesel!) #490
J. Austin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J. Austin »

the straps work awesome Monty. I use two different colors to keep myself organized. The only caution is your bridles have to be perfectly centered on the step or the straps will slack. Tom and Parared explained this very well in the the "mast hinge" topic. Otherwise the line through the bridle technique is much safer.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward
jerecaustin.com
tgentry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by tgentry »

Jay,
I really appreciate the measurements and pictures. That clears up some questions. The straps look like a nice idea, and could even allow for some adjustment mid-erection if necessary (go ahead, insert off color jokes here).

Just to be sure I understand: Is your 24" inside measurement including the ring and screw shackle?
Tom
1981 Endeavour 43 s/v Pearl Lee
Former 1976 Columbia Payne 9.6 s/v Gin Rhumby
Former 1979 Chrysler 26, s/v Copacetic
http://www.asswhaffleyachtclub.net
http://www.svpearllee.com
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Pretty awesome!
Congratulations on getting it up!

Not everybody is capable of that! The first mate was probably quite happy with you doing twice also! That is always a good thing when building confidence in the process and in your abilities to get the job done!

Just remember to stay focussed the first time you do it at the launch. Folks will be watching and we do not need performance anxiety getting in the way. Just follow the steps you did this last weekend. We do not want the mast coming down prematurely. It can cause physical damage and possibly hurt your psyche.

Again, Congratulations!

Scott
J. Austin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J. Austin »

Thanks Scott.

I will probably never get over how well this design works.
I need not tell you how little effort it took to reach this goal.
I am reinvigorated and can't wait to get this old girl sailing.

Thanks to everyone here for all there input and great advice, I could not have done it without all of you.

Jay
jerecaustin.com
mcrandall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mcrandall »

Nicely done, Jay! Like the set-up and thanks a bunch for the pics! Very understandable!

Looking forward to practicing that one day soon!

Cheers!
Mark
http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc4 ... ew%20C-22/
1975 C-22 currently named Stardust (soon to be "Angela Marie")