Battery Location

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Dallasbob
Site Admin
Site Admin

Battery Location

Post by Dallasbob »

Bob T . . .
1979 Chrysler 26 "Indecision"
Dallas, Texas / I-45 / Galveston Bay
Tommy Monaco

Post by Tommy Monaco »

I've been tumbling this idea around for a while myself. For the very same reasons too. I want the port lazzarette for "quick at hand" items. Plus, I've noticed a slight list to port, the only way I can account for it is having the galley, the head bulkheads and batteries all on the port side. I'd like to move them amidship to starboard.

The concerns are: battery security, making sure the batteries are secured down and won't move at all and that leaks will be completely contained. Second, vapor collection, but you've accounted for that. Third, if you do take on any water, the lower you put them, the quicker and easier they will be submerged negating any electronics and bilge pump action. I can't think of any others right now, there have got to be.

I'm sure some of the other guys here have moved their batteries for the same reasons too. I thought Windward may have done a similar project, but I can't recall the topic thread definitively.
Holiday

Post by Holiday »

The previous owner of my C26 had 140 lbs of iron bars in the port locker beside the drawers. I have assumed that was to help off set the list to port. I have taken the fomica off the galley, used lighter material on the top and I am stripping the formica off the head to ligthen things up. I also plan to move the battery to replace the iron weights and help balance the boat fore and aft better. I don't see venting as a big problem since hydrogen is so much lighter than air it will not pool in the bottom like propane. simple vents should work. The biggest problem I have is fitting a standard battery box in this locaton. A battery will fit in the forward part of the locker but the extra height of the battery box means it has to for more to the rear eating up a lot of space.
Holiday

Post by Holiday »

The iron was in the other port (starboard) locker.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

LOL! Yeah I saw that ! heh heh!
monty

Post by monty »

I placed my batteries (one port, one starboard) in those lockers ('under the seats' in my parlance!). No boxes, I just made plywood platforms to keep them level.

I had no problem removing my ladder, required two of us though, as I only have two arms! Some fasteners broke off but replaced all with stainless anyway. Also installed larger backup washers at the same time.

The cheesey backstay 'eyes' (please correct me!) were harder to remove. Those I backed up with small plates, the factory washers being woefully inadequate. Actually the mounting of those 'eyes' appears pretty weak, anyone had one let go?? Scary thought!!!
Messing About
78 C26D (I added the 'D' cause it's got the Volvo diesel!) #490
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

I put my Batteries under the companionway steps side by side. Mounted 3/4" Ply sealed and painted an fastened battery boxes down to it.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
Dallasbob
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dallasbob »

Bob T . . .
1979 Chrysler 26 "Indecision"
Dallas, Texas / I-45 / Galveston Bay
Windward

Post by Windward »

House batteries on Windward are in a compartment I fitted in starboard settee between the removable hatches. Secure, spill proof, accessible, balances my port-side list well. Outgassing not an issue unless I'm at the dock, where I can open the access hatch I installed. Frankly I don't do that unless I'm equalizing, as my charger does not seem to cause them to outgas.

Starting battery is an AGM and is currently in the aft berth area just behind the galley. I may relocate it a bit lower, but it's really fine where it is.
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

No I don't have a pic of it but if you have a flat floor you can screw the strap brackets to that would be fine in NY we have to have batteries fastened down and in boxes.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

I also list to port and trying to figure the better battery location as well.. no solution yet and to make it more complicated, I want to run two batteries.. this initial decision of battery location is stalling my overall wiring project ;-)
C-26, Fixed Keel # 343
monty

Post by monty »

my batteries are under the settees, one port, one starboard, as far forward as I could get them. I built crude plywood platforms with 2x under the inboard edges to level the batteries. Works well and gets 150lb. down low and close to the C.E. !
Messing About
78 C26D (I added the 'D' cause it's got the Volvo diesel!) #490
tgentry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by tgentry »

We still haven't done anything to our ladder, it's on the list. If you do take yours off, I'd be interested in it. I have an idea for adding a step to the stock ladder, but I need another "tread".

Copacetic still has the standard C-26 port list. Our marina owner actually called me early last year, concerned about it. Another thing on the to-do list is moving the battery, and adding a second one. Someone here made a nice two battery box that essenitally replaced the bottom step of the companionway steps, but I'll hopefully experiment a bit with some weights this year and decide where to put them.
Tom
1981 Endeavour 43 s/v Pearl Lee
Former 1976 Columbia Payne 9.6 s/v Gin Rhumby
Former 1979 Chrysler 26, s/v Copacetic
http://www.asswhaffleyachtclub.net
http://www.svpearllee.com
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

I like others, are doing the following;

1) complete updated wiring
2) move battery lower to avoid diminish list to port
3) add a second house battery

here is the question....

a) if I put the battery low in the salon, does the gas escaping from the batteries cause a hazard in closed cabin?

b) if I put the batteries low inthe salon, and they get submerged by overflowing bilge water, what happens to the acid? does it escape and mix with the water? if so does that dilute the acid or make the bilge water corrosive and toxic?
C-26, Fixed Keel # 343
tgentry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by tgentry »

The following answers are my opinion only. Do your own research and make your own decisions. Ultimately only you are responsible for your boat.

Batteries can give off small amounts of hydrogen during charging. Two things to remember are that the amount is small, and hydrogen is the lightest gas on earth. Also, hydrogen is not particularly hazardous as long as the concentration is low enough to not be combustible.

A group 27 battery is almost 9" tall. If my cabin has that much water in it: a) I'm sure it's enough water to dilute battery acid to "safe" levels and b) I probably have much more immediate concerns.
Tom
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

good points... but curious about the following;

under normal conditions I wonder what the thoughts of of using a candle or the kenyon stove ( or any open flame) below with the batteries also below...

I also worry if I had 9inches of water inthe cabin.. I would think I would REALLY need my batteries to power communication ( I DO have a hand held VHF but they are not as powerful or as high an antenna) or to power pumps...

I don't like the OEM battery location and want to add a scond one but am I worrying too much for situations I am likely NEVER going to get into as a day sailor...weekend coastal crusier?
C-26, Fixed Keel # 343
tgentry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by tgentry »

Typically a battery will work for a bit even after being submerged. It takes a while for any meaningful acid to seep out the vent holes. In fact I'd bet that a bit of water is more likely to seep in, which would limit the batteries effectiveness but not immediatley kill it.

I would have no worries about using my stove in the cabin with the batteries. Again, they only outgas during heavy charging, the amount is pretty small (compared to cabin volume), and hydrogen is MUCH lighter than air. It will find a way out of your boat.
Tom
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

I worry too much.

thanks.
C-26, Fixed Keel # 343
J. Austin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J. Austin »

How's this for strange?
My batteries sit in battery boxes at the farthest point in the stern.
Someone hollowed out the foam blocks and put one on each side.
So if you open the lazerette haches on either side and stick your head in there, you can see them.
But you can't reach them, Genius!

I can post pics if it would be to everyones entertainment.

Maybe it will help me get up on plane! :lol:
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward
jerecaustin.com
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

OK, the current iss of BOAT US newsletter has a story of guys in a 42 foot sport fisshing boat with twin mercs off of the coast of atlantic city on a clear nice day.. anyway the transom door was open and the stern filled with water and the guy ran to the VHF to call for help but got nothing.. batteries were already flooded! .. story does not end well... boat was only 8 miles from the Atlantic Ciity Coast Gaurd station...

Lesson: always keep a charged portable VHF or Cell phone within easy reach..
C-26, Fixed Keel # 343