Questions after a few moths of ownership

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Franklinp40

Questions after a few moths of ownership

Post by Franklinp40 »

A few Q's about the boat. My motor mount is dangerously undersized for the 10 hp honda four stroke. I am looking at a model in bass pro rated for a 25hp 2 stoke. The question is does the sailboat have any backing between the hulls like a power boat? There is a slanted piece of wood there now. I guess that has to go since the new mount is wider? The spreader mount snapped off in my hand. It was just a 20 degree(?) angles railing holder made of pot metal. I went to west marine and bought a couple if them. Now the 4 screws that hold that to the mast are pulling out. What is supposed to be there? My old boat spreaders folded so they wouldn't be in the way so much under trailering. The guy i bought the boat from had a downhaul line on both sails to be able to raise and lower everything from the cockpit. I missed how this was rigged and the ropes are neatly stowed not on the sails. Does the jib down haul line go through the hasps on the stay or run outside of them ? I am guessing that pulley and the front stay plate is for this , where does it come back to ? I dont remember if the main had the down haul too?
Under heavy air on saturday the top few "guides" on the main ripped out of the slot in the mast. and one broke off. Can I buy these and sew them back on? Is the "SLot" to wide on the mast? Is this common ? I also have a bad keel winch. has anyone ever replaced this with a small atv winch? I would love to be able to lower the keel with out a trip into the cabin. Ok thats enough for now.
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

I am thinking about installing an electric winch also....check out this company...http://www.dutton-lainson.com/products.php?cat=16
Bill
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

Sounds like you need some new slugs for your main. I think the originals were sewn on but you can use screw on plastic shackles to attach new slugs, I used 3/8's slugs on mine. Sailrite among others has the right parts along with tutorial on how to install them.

As for the motor mount the transom is solid glass with plywood backing on the inside. Originally the motor mount was center line and there is backing in place, however if you offset you probably will need to add some yourself.

You can try stainless steel rivets or some good SS sheet metal screws to hold those brackets on.
sauerleigh

Post by sauerleigh »

One thing to think about if you plan on using a electric winch is propane. If you use propane for a cooking stove or even store propane below decks, the stuff is very dangerous. It is a heavy gas and collects at a low point, one spark from a brushed DC motor and it's good night, forever. A couple of months ago a home in the area was completely destroyed and the owners killed do to a propane explosion.
1978 Chrysler 26 "Maudie Kay"
1984 Catalina 25 "REDUX" (rebuild)
It's better late than never
Franklinp40

Post by Franklinp40 »

"Slugs" Fun learning the lingo. I do not have a propane stove in use but good lookin out.
I would love to be able to put a winch handle on and crank the winch if there is a problem ,but the only ones that can do that have a knob that has to be turned to change from forward to reverse.
So you saying the Stay is secured tot he mast using a railing fitting made of pot metal ? This is factory? Thanks.
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

Howdy!

An Welcome! I just got a couple brass hasps from my rigger for half the price I found online, he buys them in bulk, so maybe a riggier can help with the slugs there. They sew on easily and yup we had to replace a few over the last couple years...

When I added a larger motor mount to my C-22 I just reinforced and added to what was inside already, used SS bolts, large washers and 4200 to seal it up...

My spreaders looked like this when I started:

Untitled by bhacurly, on Flickr

So I replaced them with these:
Untitled by bhacurly, on Flickr

And I bought them here:
http://www.dwyermast.com/items.asp?cat1 ... Airfoil%29

Pulling the pin releases them for travel and Winter storage...
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

The electric winch from the company I posted has a manual backup crank on it in case of electrical failure...just look thru their selection of winches to find the right one for your application...they aren't cheap though.
Bill
FranS

Post by FranS »

An inexpensive fix for the spreader issue is to mount stanchion or flag pole bases on the mast, West marine has them, then use the old spreader pole and set with a screw.
Anhinga
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Anhinga »

A note on winches, Keel winches have to be "brake" winches and must never allow, or have, a freewheel setting. I had to go through Grainger to get the replacment for my C26 as no other store, marine or otherwise, had brake winches. If you allow the possibility of a freewheel condition, like a trailer winch does, you allow the chance to have your keel housing smashed out if the winch gets away from the operator.

Exiting soapbox now...

-JK
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

Motor mount...I purchased my Garelick 4 stroke motor mount from Wholesale Marine...it has 15 inches of travel and handles up to 25 HP.

Price in November 2010 was $297, it is now $ 383...they had the lowest price that I could find at the time. Model GAR-71091...they also make a 9 inch travel model that is under $250. Disclaimer-- I have no connection with or monetary interest in this company.
Bill