Main sail reefing points

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Main sail reefing points

Post by Paul »

Got the main out of the bag. Looks to be in good shape, but no reefing points. Could someone give me the dimensions for reefing point 1 & 2?

Having a sewing machine available I'd also like to know what they look like and how the points are backed, etc. And, of course, pictures would be wonderfully helpful!

Thanks

Paul
Tranquil Chaos
LeatherneckPA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LeatherneckPA »

Iron Mike - Semper Fidelis
Jack of all trades, Master of none
1978 C-22: Believer
Jmckamey

Post by Jmckamey »

At work now but I can get you some info and pics this evening. My sail has only one reef point and I'm not sure the oem sail had two reef points. I have a new sail on order that will have two reef points and when I recieve it I'd be happy to post the measurements for anyone wanting to add a second reef point.

In response to the "25" luff provided by chrysler I would refer you to my posted request for sail measurements. I recieved a couple of responses and measured a sail owned by a local guy and found no sail luff to be more than 23 foot. I would hesitate to take any data provided by Chrysler as absolute fact. " Measure twice, cut once"
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

Original had one reef point, mine measures 49 1/2" from foot of sail. Since I tend to adjust for wind conditions more by changing the head sail this works for me.

PS It was probably 48" originally, I measured at the leech so I was guessing a bit and the sail is very old quite likely the original so no doubt is a bit stretched.
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Paul »

Thanks a bunch! I'd love pictures - I know it's kind of ironic since people have to nag me to provide the same thing.

Paul
Tranquil Chaos
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

I have what I believe is an OEM sail. I have 1 reef point in that sail. I do not have the measurement. I would estimate it to be about 48 inches up from the foot of the main give or take a couple inches.

Though as I recall some years back when I was thinking of new sails, the forum condenses was 3 reef points were better than 2 reef points. I think Captain Scott (69shark) got 3 reef points on his new sail. I think I personally would go for 2 reef point personally. I like Iron Mikes (LeatherneckPA) math on 2 reef points.

You can see my OEM single reef point in this very nice photo Captain Scott took of my rig in 2009.
(Double click to enlarge)
Yes this is the photo I used to make my avatar too.

Thanks
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Paul »

Great input and pics, thanks! And the next guess is that the gromet on the leach is to attach to the outhaul when reefed. Is that correct?

Paul
Tranquil Chaos
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

Yes, but the ones in the middle are just for gathering up the loose sail and are not designed to hold a load. You run a line through and tie it loosely around the boom just tight enough to keep all that extra sail out of the way and protected.

You can see those if you look closely at my avatar.
skyking

Post by skyking »

There is a place in western Pennsylvania that does these types of modifications as well as other sail related issues..cleaning etc..

www.sailcare.com

I had them quote this for my C22 and it was about 100.00

Check out their sit as they also have some goood prices on name brand hardware and such.

They only reccomended 1 reef point for the C22 oem sail..

Tim