Tohatsu Outboard Fixed

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Carl_IN_TX

Tohatsu Outboard Fixed

Post by Carl_IN_TX »

In case someone else runs into this problem with a new or recent 6hp Tohatsu 4 stroke outboard, here is the problem and solution. It ran perfect for a few weeks then it started running rough and would not idle. The short answer is that the pilot jet was plugged with flakes of black paint! After cleaning the pilot jet the outboard runs smooth and idles perfect. I guess the paint was somehow from the manufacture of the outboard.

The carb is really easy to work on and clean.

I keep marine stabil in my fuel also.
78 C22 "Trekker"
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Good info.
Thanks for the post!
Scott
TravisJ

Post by TravisJ »

I just bought a new 8HP in June and haven't had any problems. I replaced the battery cable it came with with one that reaches the battery compartment and love that push-button start!

Are you talking about where the water shoots out, or the intake?
1991 Capri 26 "Mari Sol"
1976 Chrysler 22 "Evening Star"

Commodore, Lynn Creek Yacht Club
Lake Joe Pool, Grand Prairie, TX
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Tohatsu idle revisit...........

Post by Banshi »

I tried this and mine still does not idle correctly but I finally found a forum post where a outboard mechanic recommended drilling out a welsh plug. I was apprehensive to say the least but after some more research I found out this welsh plug covers an air mixture adjustment screw that the US government doesn't want you fooling around with less you melt the glaciers and kill all the polar bears. Realizing there would be no damage to the motor other than voiding the warranty I drilled it with a bit about half it's size it popped out and low and behold an adjustment screw it is. You can see this in the parts list which is where I realized the plug was nothing more than a tamper prevention device. I will let you know how this works when I get a chance to run it and try to get the idle right.

Aside from this idle issue this motor runs smooth and efficient but the poor idle makes shifting gears rough.
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

Well it worked, the motor now idles low and is easy to put in gear and won't stall in gear if left at idle.......at least in the tank.
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

Got out on the water yesterday and it ran great I idled in gear all the way to the dock and could easily shift in and out of gear at will.
mariner

Post by mariner »

banshi can you post a pic? thanks
1976 - C22
"AnneMarie"
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »