Backstay brackets

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Traveler
Site Admin
Site Admin

Backstay brackets

Post by Traveler »

I have a '76' C22 and the split backstay brackets are pulling loose from the top of the transom. I have tried to get the stainless screws out and they are very loose but just keep turning. Has anybody replaced the stay mounts in the back and what did you do? Is there anything of reasonable strength in the top of the transom to attach the brackets to, and how do you get to it. All I can see is trying to get an arm up behind the aft fuel storage area and into the middle of the transom. Not really possible. This seemed like such a simple job to fix the problem until I tried to remove the old stuff. Thanks for any help. Love my Chrysler!! Jeff
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

Very hard to reach........and I have long fairly skinny arms. Find a plug for a hole big enough to work through and then drill a hole on the inside in the appropriate place and do the repair. You may find they have seized up so tight you have to replace the bolts (use a grinder to remove the head of the bolt). A round hole will minimize the chance of stress cracks forming in the area later and the plug cover will give you future access.
mga1951

Post by mga1951 »

My screws are actually phillips head bolts w/ nuts. I took a very long socket extension and could reach up in there and tighten or loosen them.
Came up thru the gas tank locker
Jeffrey
Fore Sail
1976 C-22
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Paul »

I think you are getting the jest of what these guys are saying. These are not screws, but bolts with nuts on the lower ends.
Traveler
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Traveler »

Thanks for the tips. Jeffrey, don't suppose you remember what size socket you used? I could go on a scavenger hunt but it would be quicker if I knew what size to starrt with. Seems like Chrysler designer would have done something a bit different with the design to have better access to the back of the fittings. Same thing for the rail stanchions, etc. Let's hope they don't ever come loose too. Thanks. Jeff
Jmckamey

Post by Jmckamey »

I hate to be the bairer of bad news but those screws are loose for only one reason and that reason is the wood backplate sandwedged in the fiberglass is rotted and the nuts are pulling up through the rotted wood. Btw the nuts are 7/16. You can tighten them all you want and the only thing you are going to do is lessen the gap by further crushing the backplate.
I had the same problem and did a repair by replacing the back plate. I took several pics and posted them here. (search my previous posts)Check them out, you may fine them usefull. Its is a simple repair and only took about a day. Good luck, Jeff
Last edited by Jmckamey on Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Traveler
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Traveler »

Hey all. Thanks for the help. I don't know what I was thinking, but surely i would have thought of a long extension for my socket after a while??? Maybe I am just getting old. Anyway, 7/16 it is and the connections are now tight and ready for action. A little fishing trip to find the nuts behind the transom but now I can move on to something else. Thanks again.