Outboard Advice

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Lucky Jack

Outboard Advice

Post by Lucky Jack »

I am trying to find an outboard that will work on both a Chrysler 22 and a Victoria 18. What I have in mind is a 3.5 hp four stroke Tohatsu:

http://www.onlineoutboards.com/Tohatsu- ... 3-5BL.html

It's more than enough for the Victoria but is it strong enough for the Chrysler? At the moment I sail exclusively in lakes so no currents to deal with. I've been haunting the local Craigslist, but so far the prices I've seen there are no bargain.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

For relatively calm flat water that outboard is more than plenty to get to and from the dock or piddle around. However if you are in heavy winds or anytype of seaway you may find it lacking in ability to power home.

As a sailboat that should not be an issue since you could SAIL! but just be aware in 20kt winds you may not have enough.
Scott
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

I'll second that, my 6 hp has power to spare so as long as you are not having to fight heavy currents or tides, winds you should be fine.
heekee

Post by heekee »

I got a great deal on a 1975 Johnson 6 horse recently. I was having trouble with my 1985 Evinrude and this old motor purrs like a kitten. It seems to be perfectly balanced for my 22 foot.
Mario G

Post by Mario G »

I would say a 5hp would be the smallest you would want on a C-22.

I just had more issues with our Evinrude 9.9 but I think it gould have something to do with the 18" of rain a few weekends ago. (water in the gas maybe :roll: )
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hp18carr »

Not to be the one to drag this post past it usefulness, but at some point I'll be installing a new motor on my c26. Capt. Bondo's statement of having the power when you need it is valid... but is there a happy medium between power and weight? New motors with a H.P. of 9.9 or higher seem to weigh in around 80 to 90 pounds and we all know the motor mount on a c26 is not the strongest in town. In a nut shell... I'm I destine to reinforce my motor mount to the point where it looks like a mini fork-lift. :shock:

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26 1980
Pandora (for now)
Lucky Jack

Post by Lucky Jack »

Thanks everyone. The problem is that motor is about the biggest the Victoria can handle weight-wise. Maybe best thing to do is get that motor since the Victoria has to have one anyway, and then see if it will work at all on the Chrysler.
mga1951

Post by mga1951 »

On a side note about horsepower. I have a 9.9 Mariner on mine w/ electric start. I had a new 4 stk, 6 hp Merc. Realized if anything happened to me, my wife would not be able to pull the cord hard enough to start the motor.
I dislocated my shoulder 2 yrs ago and then it hit me. I need an electric start outboard.
just an idea to think about!!
Jeffrey
Fore Sail
1976 C-22
mariner

Post by mariner »

I replaced my chrysler sailor with an electric start tohatsu 9.9 four stroke and use the original mount, with no issues, i love the motor! its perfect, i never really push it much past idol but when i do , boy does it move!
:P
1976 - C22
"AnneMarie"
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing