Help in the Head, por favor!

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
keysskipper

Help in the Head, por favor!

Post by keysskipper »

Well I've mentioned before all the work we are doing on Rag Time, she is really looking good, however I have put off the worst for last, well not last but getting there, my problem is sanitation as most of my fellow skippers know we are more cruisers than day sailors and since the entire Florida Keys are a National Marine Santuary, the portta potty is becoming our # 1 problem even with a extra potty tank, my problem is where to put the holding tank, remember we carry over 120 gallons of fresh water so the v spot is gone and the aft as well, our old Hunter, God rest her soul had a flex waste bag & sea cock in the port vee, would have a Todd tank, but can't figure out where and how, the area under the head will be used by plumbing, any Ideas out there?? also I need pump out and discharge, if anyone has on board sanitation on the C=26 please help the old salt out, the wife and FWC are protesting my delay. warm wind and following seas, 8) Keysskipper
ronc98

Post by ronc98 »

I have my tank where the original cooler was designed to go, In the back section of the Vberth. I assume your fresh water is in the front section of the Vberth. I cut a bit of the false floor out in the aft section of the Vberth and mounted a 9 gallon tank there. You could go larger if you needed to. There is plenty of room there. I like that area because it is centered in the boat and abuot as close to the middle of the boat as you can get. So it should not effect the handling of the boat much when it gets full.

I have a pump out port on the deck. I have the hardware to actually put a manual pump and Y fitting in but I have not yet.

If you want pics I can take a few this weekend between snow showers.

Did I mention I freaking hate winter?
keysskipper

Post by keysskipper »

Greetings Ron,

I was hoping you had done it! Did you install the entire head? is it a Jabsoco (sp) ? I thought of that spot for a second as I have a opening port there, thats where the thru hull is for the depth finder, you are correct as to a balanced location, wonder if that will work, did you run the pump out fitting port by the head? inquiring minds want to know...did you say snow showers? ouch! we had a record low tues nite of 62, finally back to normal today with a high of 78-80. Thanks for any and all advice 8) KS
keysskipper

Post by keysskipper »

Oh, PS and please send any pics, plans, schematic etc. you did an awesome job on your boat and it has inspired the old salty one, remember should you find the need to escape the great white north we can fix you and your winter blues, early to be so cold Huh? even down Island has been below normal, Thanks Mon
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Keys, might also email or PM gimlisailor. His 79 is for sale, and thus he may not be checking in. His listing here on the board for sale section lists this item

"Enclosed manual marine head JABSCO c/w 25 gal bow holding tank "

http://www.chryslersailors.com/discussi ... .php?t=859

Ron, Sounds like its time to go snowbird down island way !
:wink:
keysskipper

Post by keysskipper »

Ron, I went out to look this morning, now why did I not think of that, but what about my thru hull? I guess we could move the poo tank if it needed service, what do you think?
ronc98

Post by ronc98 »

I could not bring myself to going to the boat today. It was 21 today and I am just a wimp.

Do you have a thruhull in that area? Mine are under the head so that area for me is empty. I would be a bit nervous putting the holding tank over the thruhull just incase you needed to get to it in a hurry. You could put an access hole close to the floor for the just in case.

I find that area almost perfect for the holding tank. I am hoping to go to the boat on turkeyday, it is going to get in the 40 then, so I wont be such a wimp.

This time last year I was sanding and painting. I am glad it was warm then. If I attempted to pain my boat this year I would be frozen!
keysskipper

Post by keysskipper »

Ron, I just ran out back after watching my Dolphins get whupped..again
anyway I looked at the area in question again..you have a nine gallon there? don't think its a good spot for me though, I do have room however on the port side just forward of the head would be fairly easy, we carry alot of gear, water even folding bikes when we island hop, so I thinks it should not matter, but we thinks real slow down here anyway, got to go Mojito / sunset time on the dock, still cool mid 70's today Thanks send pics when you thaw out 8) KS
ronc98

Post by ronc98 »

The area in front of the head would work well too. I was thinking about that area but I did went for the other area since it was lower and more centered. The ideal location is one you can reduce the amount of flexible tubing. I have found that the odor leaches through the flexible tubing and results a stinky boat.

I will have some pics on thursday.
keysskipper

Post by keysskipper »

I have ordered the flex hose that is supposed to prevent that, "Bitter End" our old Hunter had that problem, so the wife always had the foo foo stuff to stop it, would like to avoid the cabin clutter, she is ready to toss the porta potty now. Thanks again look forward to pics, better yet come help me, come spend the holiday in the Islands Mon. 8) KS
ronc98

Post by ronc98 »

trust me I would love to come done. Now that I have vacation and money I am prevented by keeping my company afloat. It is always something
keysskipper

Post by keysskipper »

just line up for some of the bailout money and come on down, seriously all I need now is a tank for the spot and a small friend to help. I need to finish this and she is all done.....except for the galley makeover, send pics of that as well or did you post it already...thats my problem always livin' on Key West time. 8) KS
ronc98

Post by ronc98 »

Not the greatest pics but you can get the idea.

keysskipper

Post by keysskipper »

I don't know what to say.....WOW hard to believe she is 30 years old, everything looks new, stunning, did you do that galley, the carpet, did you paint the interior? please tell me more, love the head setup, to bad
my wife saw the pics, now I feel I must sell her as I will never get her like that. Thanks Mon, Happy Turkey Day 8) KS
ronc98

Post by ronc98 »

I basically refitting everything in the boat. I stripped it down to the basic fiberglass hull and painted the outside and inside. I pulled all the bulkheads out and everything. Redid all the carpet and vinyle wiring you name it. The only thing I have not done is the keel brackets. Those are in pretty good shape since the boat has been kept on the trailer most of its life.

Other then the boat looking much better I feel a bit mre secure now that things wont just start falling off. While it was in good shape when I got it there were somethings that were questionable. Replacing the wood compression post with aluminum was something that made me feel a bit better as well as reworking all the chainplates. They just are not tough enough in heavy wind.

Here are a few more.

keysskipper

Post by keysskipper »

did you add the wood trim? also noticed you carpeted sides, is the vinyl new? where did you get it? awesome work old Halsey would be proud. also I wondered about the galley area, was the elec. panel there already? I want to panel up to the bulkhead we have a cubby there but adding a dish, mug, towel roll etc. combo, no stove? sending warm winds temps in the 80's today light wind 8) KS
ronc98

Post by ronc98 »

I got the vinyl from greatlakesskipper as a closeout. I replaced all the vinyl for under 100 bucks. The wood trim was already there, I just refinished it. When I removed the old carpet getting the old glue off was tough. Ended up using a carpet glue scraper that made the job easier.

The old fuse panel was a standard 8 fuse/ swithc combo. I made my own panel and wire up my own switches/ breakers. Again most of that sutff came from greatlakesskipper as closout.

I have a grill outside and a portable camping stove that works perfect. I can stow it when I am not cooking and that gives me room.

The fridge/cooler is more for food storage then keeping things cool.
keysskipper

Post by keysskipper »

Awesome, I think you should give instructions if not here on thisoldboat.com thanks for giving me something to go by, and I thought I was almost done, thanks bud....I hope it snows all weekend..just kidding
it's sailing season and I'm dockside working again or trying to. 8) KS
ronc98

Post by ronc98 »

I did not think there was such a thing as work down there?

Snow is bad enough dont depress me with the work thing too,.
keysskipper

Post by keysskipper »

Thats why everything takes so long, because we live outside here, and there are days like today when its hard not to take ine of the boats out and play, and there is that little event at sunset. Thanks Ron, anytime you want to escape the great white north just let us know we will hook you up and you can tie up out back, all our houses are on open water or deep water canal, bring your laptop and work from the dock no one will know you are gone 8)KS

Larry and Tammy Neese
Action Keys Vacation Rentals
Summerland Key, Fl. MM24
305-879-7917
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Great pics ! And nice work. That power panel especially looks good to these old former broadcast engineer eyes.

Yesterday I picked up the wood and ply, etc. to start on EE's galley so she is overnightable for the spring. Although she sures seems quicker without all that heavy ply, so I'm going to try and save weight by using thinner ply, framing and bracing where needed as opposed to the factory's use of solid 3/4" ply and veneer on everything.

Top of your rudder post looks like mine with the sealant. Don't know about you, but on EE the factory cut about a 4 inch hole to pass a 3 inch pipe thru ! If mine keeps leaking off and on I'm going to fabricate a plate to close that hole up tighter around the pipe.
ronc98

Post by ronc98 »

keysskipper wrote:Thats why everything takes so long, because we live outside here, and there are days like today when its hard not to take ine of the boats out and play, and there is that little event at sunset. Thanks Ron, anytime you want to escape the great white north just let us know we will hook you up and you can tie up out back, all our houses are on open water or deep water canal, bring your laptop and work from the dock no one will know you are gone 8)KS

Larry and Tammy Neese
Action Keys Vacation Rentals
Summerland Key, Fl. MM24
305-879-7917
Thanks for the invite Keyskipper I will be down before two long. I need to rework a bit of my trailer before I take it on that voyage. I am going to start pulling things off the trailer and begin sandblasting next weekend.
ronc98

Post by ronc98 »

EmergencyExit wrote:Great pics ! And nice work. That power panel especially looks good to these old former broadcast engineer eyes.

Yesterday I picked up the wood and ply, etc. to start on EE's galley so she is overnightable for the spring. Although she sures seems quicker without all that heavy ply, so I'm going to try and save weight by using thinner ply, framing and bracing where needed as opposed to the factory's use of solid 3/4" ply and veneer on everything.

Top of your rudder post looks like mine with the sealant. Don't know about you, but on EE the factory cut about a 4 inch hole to pass a 3 inch pipe thru ! If mine keeps leaking off and on I'm going to fabricate a plate to close that hole up tighter around the pipe.
The white stuff is paint and I got a bit messy and stoned while painting. There is not much air flow back there. You will notice a black streak down the post as well. This is a two part polyurethane that I mixed up and pored in the top of the rudder post to form a seal. There did nothing at the fctory to try and seal that hole. The polyurethane seems to stick to the rubber pipe and the figerglass so I am hoping that is not a leak point anymore. That section of the boat is another section of "What were they thiniking" It is a bit similar to the wood compression post.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Just got back from checking mine after all that rain we got when that front came thru - still had wet streaks down the pipe and water in the bilge despite a bang up job I did trying to seal that area around the pipe with 3m. So I'm going ahead with my idea of a foot square piece of plastic, with a hole precisely the size of the pipe in it. If I remove the rudder post and the tube next time I haul out I can slide that plate over the tube, then reinstall the tube, and glass it to the underside of the cockpit, and add an o-ring, maybe I can cure it.

Again, your pics look great.