I got it up!

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

I got it up!

Post by CaptainScott »

I'm so sorry, I just had to do that!

Well, now that you are here and reading,
Today was a good day! Some of you may remember I attempted to step the mast on my 1976 Chrysler 22 a few weeks ago and failed miserably.
We used the stock mast step and hook but found the mast to be almost completely uncontrolable. We promptly dropped the mast and broke the spreader support on the starboard side of the mast.

I found and installed a mast hinge similar to the one on my 1975 C22.
I read here that someone used a flag pole support as a spreader support to fix and replace a broken spreader support. Well, I could not find the correct size at my local West Marine however I did find a rail support! Worked perfectly and at 19.00 bucks each I bought two. I replaced the unbroken spreader support at the same time and I'm glad I did! It was bent and week!

Today my brother in law and a neighbor came by and we stepped the mast! I stood in the boat and lifted the hinged mast as high as I could and they simply pulled on the two halyards to lift the mast!! Perfect!!
As I type this my 76 C22 is sitting along side my house with the mast up! Wooo hooo! Finally!

I can now raise the sails and let them air out and hopefully release some of the interesting odor they have. I care not to think of what the odor is! LOL!

I will make a set of bridles for the 76 just like the set I made for the 75 so I can single handedly lower the mast when the time comes!

I will update my website with more photos soon!

If anyone has any particular questions or specific photos they would like, let me know and I'll get it in the next few days!!

Scott
FranS

Post by FranS »

Can't wait to see the pics. Good Job. The spreader fix works well doesn't it. We installed ours three years ago and it's holding up great.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Hi Fran!
Got some photos posted!
The new mast step hinge plate with the mast up, a distance shot, close up of one of the spreaders with the fix, and a stepped back shot of the spreaders with both changed to the new bracket!
I did not step back to far though because I was on the roof of my house!LOL!

Now I'm looking for a gooseneck! The boom I have is not original however appears to fit perfectly minus the gooseneck. Guess I'm off to rigrite.com again!

New pictures at the bottom of this link!

http://www.captainscottsailing.com/LadyDi.html

Scott
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

Great pics, great work...what did you use to clean/ polish up that dingy blue hulll...it looks great
jeff88ix

Post by jeff88ix »

Scott,

Your new boat is identical to my 75 C22, I just picked it up this fall as well and am new to sailing, or at least with my own boat. Mine is in about the same condition as yours, but seems to be a good solid boat.

I was also very interested in your mast stepping changes, as I am deathly afraid of doing this again after dropping the mast (we really dropped it) when I picked up the boat, damaging the mast head. :(

Anyway, looks great

Jeff
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

NYSailor, I will be home Sunday evening ad will post exactly what I used for you. Just can't remember right now!

Jeff,
Im sorry for your missfortune! However,you are not alone. We dropped our mast snapping the spreader support the first time! Fortunately as you can see in the photos she is right next to my house and landed the mast on my roof! I'll NEVER step this mast again without a hinge! I'm away from home now, however, I will happily help you anyway I can to get your mast up. Just ask away and I can answer any questions! When I get home I can snap photos for you too if you'd like.

Scott
FranS

Post by FranS »

jeff88ix wrote:Scott,

Your new boat is identical to my 75 C22, I just picked it up this fall as well and am new to sailing, or at least with my own boat. Mine is in about the same condition as yours, but seems to be a good solid boat.

I was also very interested in your mast stepping changes, as I am deathly afraid of doing this again after dropping the mast (we really dropped it) when I picked up the boat, damaging the mast head. :(

Anyway, looks great

Jeff
Jeff,
Don't feel bad we snapped the hook 2x when we first got the boat , you are not alone, but since then we have rasied and lowered the mast about 4 times. Capt Scott's rigging details for his single handed raising are very helpful, although we typically have 2-3 people for the job. It's very doable if you go slow and rig up the bridles as shown. The one problem we found is that the mast wants to swing and twist some on the way up. We put one person hauling on the bow, my husband usually under the mast walking it up, and a third just forward of the mast step to steady it and keep it from twisting. We plan to replace the hook step this year with the hinge though.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

NYC Sailor,
I just double checked on the rubbing compound, it is 3M Marine rubbing compound. I tried the 3M Polish shortly after and was not happy so I stopped. All the photos you see are after rubbing coumpound however before any type of polish or wax. This spring, I'll re-rub the hull out and then go for polish and wax. If she comes out excellent I just may keep the blue hull and sell the white one!

Scott