V-beth and stern berth liner

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
SN691
Site Admin
Site Admin

V-beth and stern berth liner

Post by SN691 »

Bob

1979 C-26

Easy Street

~~~_/)~~~
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Glad to answer !

I actually did it with white vinyl then with blue carpet on the sides and vinyl on the top- it got where being in the boat was like being in a blizzard with all the white.

I used a backed vinyl from Hancock Fabrics ("Floridian" I think) because it was on closeout, and I first tried the 3-M spray to attach it. It didn't work too well on the fuzzy backing, and the overspray and fumes in that confined space was problematic. Suit up, get airflow in there, and use a mask if you do it. I switched to the contact type adhesive used to put vinyl flooring down. Applied it to the sides of the hull with a heavy nap roller. If you get it on the vinyl's surface, it doesn't come off, and leaves a stain. So be careful of that.
If I was doing it again I would add a layer of headliner foam from that store first tho. Don't need it with the carpet.

The header over the stern berth is a duckcloth fabric. With all the edges, corners, and curves I didn't want to try to figure out the pattern and seams with the expensive vinyl in there. The vinyl I had showed seams terribly. Bet that's why it originally was burlap !

And I didn't touch those portlights for fear of causing the only ones that didn't leak to start ! On EE there is a slight gap between the fiberglass and the inside of the portlight frame so I could tuck fabric under for a neat edge around them.

Hope that helps.

I really need to update the site to be more reflective of the current state ! Some of the pics contradict each other. But there's sun and wind this weekend I hear.
SN691
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by SN691 »

Thanks EE that helps a lot. We are rethinking about doing the liner with all vinyl . We like the idea of the carpet along the sides and thank we will go that way. As you said no way am I going to touch those portlights because they do not leak now. This is what I love about this form , ask a question and you will get a answer from some one.
Bob

1979 C-26

Easy Street

~~~_/)~~~
Windward

Foam, carpet and plans

Post by Windward »

Since I sail year around and it gets kinda chilly here (lowest temp during an overnight was 10 deg F, and 20s are common for me) I attached blue backpacker's sleeping pads (Wally World's finest) with contact cement to insulate the hull sides (inside, although it would make for an interesting exterior finish), then covered it with good marine carpet -- rubber backing, so no water absorption there, and poly fiber in loops so that it doesn't molt or otherwise shed. This has worked well in the quarter berth and salon sides, and it also keeps it quiet. I'm now installing it in the v-berth.

Windward has the textured fiberglass headliner for most of the cabin. I yanked the nasty carpet that covered the cockpit underside above the quarterberth, but have yet to replace it. My plan is to use the blue foam there, too, then cover with a smooth vinyl headliner. Because condensation and resulting AM drip is a significant problem in the colder months, I'll probably do the same in the v-berth. I'm hoping the insulation plus some additional ventilation will ameliorate the problems there.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

The ventilation will help!!!
Might make for some nippy mornings though!!!

Scott
Windward

Nippy is relative.

Post by Windward »

When the temps are in the low 20s it's nippy in the mornings already! That's what decent sleeping bags are for 8)

My wife's usually fine to overnight even when it's pretty cold. The deal we have is that I get up, get the heater started and get a pot of coffee going. Once it's warm enough the iced condensation inside the windows starts to melt and the coffee's done, she'll get up. I get breakfast going after we're suitably caffeinated. Pretty reasonable cost of doing business, I think.

I use a Mr. Heater Portable Buddy Jr. space heater in the evenings when we're cooking or hanging. It goes all the way off when we go to bed -- I don't trust it that far. In the AM I'll fire it up again to help the crew (OK, me too) face the prospect of leaving the sleeping bags.

A larger unit is available with twice the heat output, a second cartridge and a built-in fan to help circulation. I rely on a couple of small Hella fans to circulate heat instead. In the 26, the heater kicks out enough that I often turn it to low or even pilot to moderate the temperature (we are dressed for the wx, not in shorts and t-shirts), and I seldom use more than 1 lb. of propane each night / following morning.

The Mr. Heater has been completely reliable thus far, and includes a tip-over cutoff (it's hard mounted on the aft head bulkhead above the port settee, though) and has a low oxygen sensor and cutoff, too. Propane cartridge gets spun on when we're at anchor, and is never stored inside the cabin (I've had a couple of the valves leak before).

About 28 sq in of ventilation at the top of the companionway admits fresh air, and I have an opening port in one of the hatch boards if we have company or are using the stove. Nicro solar / 12v exhaust fan mounted in the head helps pull air through.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Sounds like a very nice setup!
I have to admit though, I prefer sleeping when it is could outside the bed and nice and comfy in bed! LOL!

Scott
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Jeff, you be a better man than I.

I hate being cold, and in fact may be the only resident of the Gulf south that still wants to snowbird even further south by every February.
keysskipper

Post by keysskipper »

come on " Down Island " mon, we be waitng on you, mid 80's today, E winds 10-15, seas 1-2 feet inside the reef, 3-4 outside the reef, higher in the Gulf Stream, my kind of sailing weather
Windward

Be careful what you suggest!

Post by Windward »

KeysSkipper,

Careful what you suggest! The trip OBX left me way hungry for more, including the nagging notion that I need a second C26 someplace salty so don't need to trailer to get there. Never visited the keys, and by boat seems like the best way.

J
keysskipper

Post by keysskipper »

All my sailing swabs on this forum are always welcome in the Conch Republic, in fact I have many specials on rental homes this winter all with dockage, full keels will need to tie up behind my house, all others will be fine, come on down boys the water is still 82, we don't sail as much in the summer as we do winter, always welcome to use " Rag Time " if you don't want to bring your boat, but with this cheap ass gas you may never get another chance to sail her in tropical waters. KS 8)
SN691
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by SN691 »

We are scraping th orignal plan for the liner and going back to the drawing board.

Thanks for all the input. We do appreciate all the info.
Bob

1979 C-26

Easy Street

~~~_/)~~~
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

I am in the early planning stages on thsi as well. I still have the original ratty stuff hanging off the walls.

I plan on using a thin foam flooring insulation like FloorMuffler and then some real or fake light colored wood verneer ( like nu -tek or one of the many others) or fabric not sure how I will glue all this stuff.

For the cabin sole I will go real teak/holly or some of the fake stuff (most likely fake since it will be alot easier and much much lighter weight..this is a sailboat!)