Winter 08 Projects

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
NYCSAILOR

Winter 08 Projects

Post by NYCSAILOR »

Thought I would see what everyone is up to thsi haul-out ( at least for us in the NE that have to come out) and then the EE could break out the projects in groups as they progress..

In somewhat priority order:

1) RUDDER
New ruddder blade
New rudder bearings
Refreshed rudder shaft thru hull
2) CABIN SOLE
rip -put carpet
replace soft sole
clean & paint bilge
new bilge pump
teak/holly sole
3) OUTBOARD
stronger mount for 4 -stroke
new cockpit controls
cockpit tach guage
4) INSTRSTRUMENTS
new depth/knot meter
new in-hull depth transducer
new knottransducer
fillin old transducer hole
5) new cushion covers
6) new tiller
7) new tiller& sail cover
8) backing plate on cleats
9) SEACOCK ON SINK DRAIN
10) Fix kenyon alchol stove
11) tinting on all windows
12) clean and scrub everything
13) somehow refresh gelcoat on hull and deck in hopes of avaaoinding a repaint.
14) MAST - new halyards, new windex, run new wire for mast head VHF antenna, somehow polish or maybe paint the mast
15) replace the cloth that is falling off the walls of the cabin and berths..ugh! what is that all about..scary!
Last edited by NYCSAILOR on Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
FranS

Post by FranS »

Capt Scott had a good idea for the gel coat renewal. That's on out list as well. Id like to tackle the keel bolts, but hubby says he will sell it before attempting that repair. :-)
SN691
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by SN691 »

I have to replace the liner in the v-berth and stern berth. Replace the Kenyon alcohol stove with a Origo non pressure alcohol stove.
Replace the depth sounder with one that works. Revarnish the teak on the cabin top and hatches.
And last but not lease refresh the gelcoat on the hull.
Bob

1979 C-26

Easy Street

~~~_/)~~~
thepartydog

08 haul out?

Post by thepartydog »

It's time for the 08/09 haulout already? I'm not done with the 07/08 haul out. I think I've forgotten why they call it a sail boat.

Darin
Darin
"Ya Never Know"
1980 C26
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

Money sails in but it doesn't sail out :lol:
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Darin, I can sure identify ! EE was out from March 2006 to July 2008. And based on being out for those winters, here's my winter 2008 worklist.

1. Check regularly to make sure she heels to port under sail when wind is 45 degrees off starboard bow

2. Check regularly to make sure she heels to starboard under sail when wind is 45 degrees off port bow.

3. Only fix things that prevent items 1 or 2 from occuring.

:wink:
Chrysler20%26

EE Best Plan

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

EE, happy sailing, if only the lake would not turn to ice, I would do the same. Big Brother goes to Fl. in a week or so, so my house sitting will begin. An my C- 26 will go in side for the winter. A C-20 sold on e-bay for $2400, No I did not buy it, it was a nice boat.
Windward

So many things, so little time...

Post by Windward »

If I put my whole list on here I'd need my own forum. :oops: Fortunately I know that between sailing, home, sailing and work I won't get to much of if.

Fortunately it's warm enough that I can sail year around here, although last January when I overnighted at 13 deg, sailed next day with a high of 21 and overnighted again at 10 deg I began to wonder if was actually warm enough.

I just returned from a couple of weeks sailing around the Outer Banks (Pamlico Sound and Onslow Bay), where I put a 5" - 6" crack in both rudder cheek plates from excessive force whilst surfing. That's getting fixed next week. Also fabbing a new bracket for the spare tiller so that it's ready to go.

The ol' girl's looking a bit shabby, but weather's turned cold and wet so will probably delay painting until spring.

Flexed up the hull/deck enough that several portlights again leak some. Need to fix that.

Installing an anemometer and masthead antenna before I raise mast again. Fishfinder / depth sounder died at the coast, as did the tiller pilot. Replaced the finder, but will send it for repair so as to have a spare. Planning to install the new transducer, too, so that I have redundancy there as well. Also will wire the chartplotter into the VHF so that DSC calls can include lat/lon.

While the 1/4" steel "U" extension I had fabbed worked just fine on the coast and permitted me to tilt up the new Tohatsu easily, I'll do a prettier job on extending the motor mount.

Need to install the electric choke on said Tohatsu to get the full benefit from remote starting.

Resealing the bow eye, since it seeps a bit in large waves and dampens the V-Berrth.

Replace carpet in V-Berth area, with insulation underneath, and recover the forward sole.

Install a second bilge pump forward, and a manual one in the cockpit.

Install a meaningful latch on the companionway hatch and drill the drop boards for pins so that I don't have to tie those down when sailing in rough/puffy stuff.

Install a new stereo I purchased from Cambridge Soundworks -- max draw is 1.5 amps and it kicks ass-- long live the batteries!

That's the "short" list. Long list of wannas, including installing cabin edge toe rails / sail tracks, installing opening portlights that I already purchased, additional fans, some lighting changes, galley improvements, new mattress in VBerth and QBerth, improved electrical panel and combiner, opening up some additional storage, installing an anchor roller that doesn't interfere with trailer launch / recovery and some miscellaneous control refinements, but realistically most or all of those will still be on the list rather than the boat come spring.

The biggie I really need to get to is removing the swing keel shoes and pin and quite probably having new ones made (I'd like to add about 100 - 200 # of ballast to those shoes if I rebuild them, and fair the keel while it's removed). That smacks of a long, drawn out effort filled with unpleasant surprises and expletives, and frankly I dread it; because I push the boat hard and am ranging further, though, I probably need to do it.

I'm also considering a second C26, fixed keel, to keep on the coast, but am hard aground on that decision, since getting the boat up to my standards would be quite time consuming and expensive.
hotdot

Post by hotdot »

I would rather think of the "winter projects" list as "The Preparation for a Fantasy Voyage" list!
I have found the more I sail my C-26 and get to know her the more adventurous my trips and plans become. So my list for the winter is:
1) Salt water faucet at galley sink.
2) Install Whale Gusher "Oh My God!" emergency bilge pump.
3) Washdown pump.
4) Shortwave receiver radio.
5) Repaint and reinforce my outboard bracket.
I would like to change out the keel shoe/brackets but thats a major job so until I can get quality replacement parts and find a way to do it without needing sugery afterward,I'm going to wait.
ronc98

Post by ronc98 »

My winter projects are all canvas work. The main portion of my doger needs to be replaced. So since it will be impossible to find a replacement I need to make on myself. The rest of the dodger is hardly used so at least the sides are done.

I might send my main out to get another set of reef points installed. May end up doing that myself. Not sure yet.

These are the first picts that I have with me sailing her. I have sailed her all summer and this is the first time I got to see her with the sails up, while not being on the boat. Awlgrip is amazing! If you look closed enough you can see the water shimmer reflecting in the paint.

EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

OK I confess. I do have the interior on the winter project list since there basically is none other than the queen size Coleman air bed in the stern. Planning on leaving everything the off-white it is now, adding blue cushions, and trimming with all the wood in varnished mahogany-stain. Will update the laminate table to real wood as well.

I never was a fan of the shiny wood thing, but made the mistake of carefully putting a gazillion coats of Interlux Schooner varnish on my new tiller, and was amazed at how it glowed in the sun. I'm hooked.
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

I'll have to confess this is the winter project I'll be working on...........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AolEbOzUbWI

I'm not trying to rub it in you guys and gals up north.....really I'm not :wink:

I took this as I sailed up to NAS Jax to watch the 2008 Jacksonville Airshow starring the Blue Angles, there must have been 200 boats out there. It was perfect weather with 10-15 kts of wind, overcast most of the day and temps in the mid 70's !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Nice clip ! But about the radio in the background :wink: I mean you're from Jacksonville, right ? Couldn't find a station with a Van Zandt boy on it ? Just messin' with you, looks like a great ride !
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

I do actually have a few projects I'll work on but they won't be the kind that stop sailing on the weekends, inboard fuel tank, bow roller and flush mount navigation lights on the bow for a few................................speaking of the weekend looks like another perfect weekend coming up, 75 clear skies and 10-15 knts of wind, man I love this time of year :)
ronc98

Post by ronc98 »

What is that motor hum in the background of your video? Are you sure you are sailing :?
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

It was like a freeway out there at times when I crossed the channel on the beat up the river ( I sailed the whole way except for passing through the bridge)...................but that was nothing compared to the stampede out of the anchorage on the way back :shock: Brought new meaning to the phrase "don't rock the boat"!. It was about 2 miles to the bridge (from the anchorage and you pretty much have to motor through this one regardless of the wind)on the way back down and I motored the whole way, no way was I climbing out on deck sailing solo in that chop. Soon as I passed through the bridge I turned east to get out of the channel to get back to some relatively peaceful sailing. I did motor the last couple of miles in the dark returning, the wind had died off and I was going against the current. Got in about 8:30 PM with just enough light to see the crab pots in the channel and avoid them. :roll:
ronc98

Post by ronc98 »

Motor or no motor. At least it is not snowing there like it is here.

I hate the north!
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

Actually to that end I would prefer to live much farther north but I'll just have to make do :wink:
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

I live in Everett just North of Seattle.
Sailing season never ends here for us. As the needs of students wind down, the weather gests more blustery! LOL! So . . . . Lots of family time on Destiny!

Winter projects for me include a new mast step hinge for my 1976, all new running rigging, new gooseneck on the boom, and more gelcoat polishing!

Spring time will see Destiny get hauled out on the hard for a week. Pressure wash and sand entire bottom, all new bottom paint, zincs, and general hull cleaning.

Scott
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

ROn...what a boat...gorgeous paint..was that a DIY job or did yo have a pro do it....

I decided I am at a point with my boat that I either have to paint the topsides or simply tell people my boat is beige ( and hey, I really do think the boat is beige!...anyone know the original color schemes.. I have a red cove stripe and beige nonskid and really really ugly beige interior!)

Ron, I would love to see the interior of your boat if the outside looks that good!
ronc98

Post by ronc98 »

Thanks NCSailor,

That was a DIY awlgrip done in a storeall. There is a link someplace in this forum where I took pictures as I did the project. It took about 3 months to complete.

No matter how hard you hear Awlgrip paint is to put on right, if you take a little time and lean to roll and tip you get amazing results.
Painting is the easy part the fairing and preparation is what takes the time.

I will see what I have for the inside pictures. I stripped out all of the inside but ended up putting most of the stuff back in.
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

I might have missed those other pics or posts. I am curious where C-26 owners are putting their batteries and electrical panels.

My set-up is stock and I see that some place the batteries below the stairs ( a good place ) and my project is to set-up proper electrics and maybe a chart/nav station somewhere with a fold-down or flip up table either opposite teh galley or hanging off the settee side of teh galley.

Also what are people putting in place of that fabric that is falling off the walls? carpet, I was thinking wood slats ( lots of work and adds weight) or some wood verneer ( might not bond smoth or bubble up as teh hull sweats..)
ronc98

Post by ronc98 »

The link to when I started my refit is here.

http://www.chryslersailors.com/discussi ... .php?t=561

I placed my batteries under the stairs. It takes care balance issue they cause being on one side and you can get to them a bit easier. I made my own fuse panel as well and then completely rewired the boat correctly.

As far as the old carpet I used indoor outdoor in aft bearth. The sides I used pleated vinyl. and glue it on. it was similar to what was originally on it. There are a ton of pictures on the forum of my boat refit progress just do a search.
Windward

Battery location(s)

Post by Windward »

I used to have an Optima Red Top and a Group 27 beneath the aft berth, but wanted to add a second house battery and wanted to put a water tank there.

Since Windward had a slight list to port (blame the head, galley, cooking gear and food) anyway and my water tank would add 180# or so, I wanted to balance it out and keep weight forward some. I built a locker in between the starboard settee hatches, with an access hatch on top, that accommodates a pair of Group 27 batteries. I think I can fit Group 31s in there, actually, but haven't put it to the test. I have access to terminals and the cell caps, but need to unscrew that aft panel to actually remove the batteries.

I have a separate Optima Blue Top as a starting battery (overkill, but no way the motor's not startable, and gives me emergency capacity; the red top now lives in my car), which currently lives portside, just aft of the galley. I want to relocate that, but haven't yet decided where.

I was in "affordable, better than new, but not perfect" mode when I did the mod, so used wet cell batteries, and used 4 gauge jumper cables for the main power run to distribution. I ran it in conduit to protect it, and terminals are crimped, soldered and covered. "Real" marine 4 gauge, or better yet, larger, would have been better, but much more $$, and since I'm usually not in salt I decided it was a reasonable tradeoff.

Still need to rebuild the panel. Right now I use three separate fuse blocks near their device loads, and supply them with 8 gauge. While that makes a lot of places to check for fuses, it does reduce voltage drop.