A sucessful mast unstepping

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
FranS

A sucessful mast unstepping

Post by FranS »

Just want to say thanks to all for the great tips, although we have stepped and unstepped the mast about 6 times , today was by far the easiest. I reviewed Capt Scott's detailed outline and picked up two tips that made it much easier. One very simple, turn the boom on the flat rather than the end (the manaul fails to mention this) the other way it was never snug enough against the mast. Two, we ran the support lines from the bridles to the cleats on the mast and made them off. It made it much more secure than just tieing off the lines at the ring on the bride.
I don't know that we will ever single handedly raise the mast, but Im confident we can do it just the two of us now.

Sorry no pics

So she's button up for the winter :(
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Congratulations!
Pretty dang cool once you've done it!
I hope to add a video soon so those who have not tried can see it done single handed!

Two thumbs up here!
Again, congrats!

Scott
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

CONGRATS..
I would have loved to come by and help/learn/watch/film....I have yet to do this and would love not to pay my boatyard $250 for doing what I think gravity will do for free!
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

NYCSailor!!!!
Hang tight before you spend all that money!!!!!

What is your time frame for unstepping? I'm currently struggling with getting the video from my HDrecorder onto my PC so I can format it. Once I format it for downloading off the internet I'll post it.

The Single Handed method of stepping the mast on a 22'er is not that bad however with 3 guys including me, I can drop my mast in about 1/3 the time!!!!!! It is very easy to do. All you need is two halyards properly secured!!!! When I have one extra body at the ramp, I just grab the closest guy for a third! I only do this when the boat is absolutely 100% ready to either drop or raise though! Do not make the extra help wait any more than absolutely necessary! I've never had a problem and I'm stepping and dropping my mast about once every two weeks now. I plan on doing it yet againThursday in and Saturday out of the water.

If there are any of you computer geeks out there that are familiar with video formatting and getting it posted, ANY help would expidite me getting it online. Unfortuantely the video software that claims it can do it is quite expensive so I would really like freeware to accomplish the video step. I may have to bite the bullet though when I have more money saved up and buy software.

Awe heck, NYCSailor, send half that money and I'll buy the software!!!!
JK!! LOL! NO! DO NOT SEND ME MONEY!!!!

Captain Scott
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Scott, drop me an email with the details on what type format you need to go from, and I'll see what I can turn up.
FranS

Post by FranS »

NYCSAILOR wrote:CONGRATS..
I would have loved to come by and help/learn/watch/film....I have yet to do this and would love not to pay my boatyard $250 for doing what I think gravity will do for free!
Well you would have witnesses my hubby going for a swim. Although the unstepping went well, we hit snag with getting the boat on the trailer. I love him but he's stubborn. The launch operator offered to take him in on the hip, but he just had to do it alone. :-) Our trailer actually floats because of the four 1x12's attached to the bunks in a home fix attempt to retrofit the trailer we had to accomodate the sail boat. Just as he was pulling up the trailer shifted. Instead of backing out, letting me repositon the trailer and trying again he went over side, much to my horror!. I was ceratin he would ground her but he attached the bow strap and hand walked the boat on to the trailer. He was in about three- four feet of water so grounding wasn't a real risk.

It was effective if not pretty.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

EmergencyExit wrote:Scott, drop me an email with the details on what type format you need to go from, and I'll see what I can turn up.

Email sent!
Thanks for any help!!!!

I will attempt to get the video up as soon as possible.
Please be forwarned the video I currently have is from 20 feet from my 1975 Chrysler and the detail is very limited. Watching the video in conjunction with the page I have already posted would be a pretty complete view. I would happily update and add more info as requested so the site is more complete. If it is lacking in detail, just let me know and I'll do what I can to get it to you.

Scott
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

FranS...

I am looking to "convert" a trailer to do exactly as you do and then launch and step the mast once a season from a public ramp and then sail to my slip....BUT.... I was told by Viking trailers that you can't "convert" a powerboat trailer to a sailboat trailer and that it is very dangerous and that sailboat trailers have to b specially designed and made for teh boat etc.... so... what did you buy and use to convert and how..?
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

OK,
The video is out there.
The audio is not necessary and is simply background noises. As soon as I can modify an AVI file, I'll replace the audio and clip the video where appropriate.

Simply go to my site and scrole to the last of the photos. The last one is a link to the video. Click the video and it will start your video player associated to AVI files. Likely windows media. The file is 6 MB. I have a 22MB version at a 640X480 resolution if there is a need I can post it too.

I hope this helps!
Scott

http://captainscottsailing.com/SteppingTheMast.html
FranS

Post by FranS »

NYC Sailor, I sent you a PM. We made the modifications, but as a disclaimer I'm not warranting the safety of doing so :-)
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Like FranS I make no guarantees, but all I know is we found a heavy duty trailer with the right dimensions and weight specs at a boat salvage place, they tied a line from the stern of the ugly old cabin cruiser that was on the trailer to another junk boat, pulled the trailer out from under it, we wrote a check, went home, set up the bunks, and lived happily ever after !

Granted we do not tow the boat all over the place, its more a case of the boat being stored on the trailer or wet slipped, or making a short trip, but that is kinda what you are looking for as well I think ?
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

FranS/EE

not to hijack this and make this a trailer thread but...

I am searching for exactly what EE describes... I figure my boat weighs in at 8000lbs so I need at least that weight plus the weight of the trailer and that means at least a tandem trailer.... I also figure I need at least a 16foot trailer ...most are powerboat trailers and that is the ready (and cheaper) supply out there. SO...I am thinking cut off any rollers or powerboat bunks and then weld in bunks or stands for my boat.

So..Viking tells me you can't do that...the eight load is not degined or distributed teh same in a powerboat as in a keel boat 9 allthe keel boat should be supportedby the keel and and stands or bunks should just be there for stability only..not load bearing) also ( and this made sense too...) if the stands are not placed against the hull where there is a bulkhead, the stands might punch right through the hull with a pot hole or bump...

all sounds good but I just need something for storage and launching and maybe travel all of 10 mile a year.

I am now thinking a used utility or landscape strailer with a big wide flat bed and then maount my wood cradle on it..not what I want to do at all but it would not allow float off lauching but finding a sailboat trailer is very tough inthe NE... and boat yard rates onthe east end are high.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

I was of that same mind as far as a trailer goes, just a short haul storage deal in case of hurricanes, etc. so I only approached the trailer search from there.

I think I understand what Viking may mean about the weight - if you are trailering a powerboat most of the weight is probably back there hanging off the transom, as opposed to in the center on a ballasted sailboat.

I documented what thought process I went thru on EE's site at http://my.att.net/p/s/community.dll?ep= ... 280776&ck=
but basically I took that into account and looked for a heavy duty trailer with a hitch to axles dimension that would place the center of the boats gravity right over/between the dual axles. If you look on the site at the pic of the boat behind the F350 you'll see the trailer sits pretty level, in fact the tongue weight was nearly spot on when I checked it after the work I did. And the trailer we picked had plenty of cross members as well

As far as pads punching thru - all my weight is (now) sitting on 4" bunks with a slot for the swing keel itself so no weight is on that pin, and I used runners instead of pads for that reason. I dropped my lower bunks and loosened my side bunks a touch at at time when removing EE from the trailer, and she sat there, so I'm pretty sure they only steady the boat, not carry the weight.

Again if I was in the habit of trailer-sailing it around the coast, I might rethink the trailer, but we towed it from Ponchartrain to SW Mississippi with no problems,and I moved it from home to False River with no issues other than being smart about my speed.

Insert disclaimer of your choice here, of course !
FranS

Post by FranS »

Here's the text of the PM i sent. We have the much samller boat so take that into consideration:

I'm quite sure that Viking is correct and its not the best idea to modify a power boat trailer to accomodate a sail boat. You have a fixed keel correct. What is the height from the bottom of the keel to the deck. We have the swing keel. It would definitley throw off the center of gravity. When we have it on the trailer its pretty high, the decks are over six feet from the ground. The trailer we used originally was for a 24ft Bayliner. It has no markings on it and I don't know what the make is. Its a single axle without independant brakes. Our boat loaded with the motor is close to 3000 lbs so we really are pushing the limit. We tow behind a Grand Caravan! My husband removed the bunks and added two 2x12's screwed together on each side. He tied them into the trailer frame first by bolting brackets which look like square joist brakets into the trailer frame and then screwing the bunks into the brackets. i think he used 4 on each side. He also added some steel straps and bolts which were about 10 inches long. They bolted through the bunks and then through the frame. He then stapled astro turf over the bunks to carpet them. We later added plastic slides and the boat slips right off. After two seaons however the boards warped some and lossened from the weight of the boat so before we pulled the boat last year he added two "V" shaped braces which run from the new bunks down to the frame. He then fabricated a bracket which he slips over the rear end of the bunks and botls it to make sure the rear end of the bunks don't splay out. It gets put on after the boat is on the trailer and we use that only in transit. If you send me an email address I can forward you a picture or two.
thepartydog

Punching holes in the hull

Post by thepartydog »

Darin
"Ya Never Know"
1980 C26
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Senior moment - forgot that NYC had a fixed keel which would raise his vertical CG - I had this concern as well, which is why the upper side bunks and the v-shaped cradle design of the trailer was put in place.

The fixed keel may well raise other concerns.
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

thanks everyone..at least I know what I am infor and what to consider and look out for...
Partydog... VIking was concerned mostly with a bump or pothole and the pad actually "punching " through the hull... clearly you are right dents flexing etc on a 20 year glass hull is not smart and I know nothing about fiberglass but I got to figure that all fiberglass is not created equal and I hope our airforce is equipped with our tax dollars with better glass than our chryslers...

anyway... I am back to looking ofr either aused tandem powerboat trailer with lots of cross beams or a utility trailer either to modify or to sit my factory shipping cradle on and then the boat ( hey they shipped them like this didn't they? also the oem shipping cradle gives me a great template for how I would need to set-up a mod job.. and yes I am blesssed ( cursed) with the fixed keel option of the c-26...