Chrysler Outbord C-D

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Chrysler20%26

Chrysler Outbord C-D

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

Having an outboard on a boat, sitting out side 14 years. (Not Good) First step, a good solking, put lower unit in water two days, roled egngin over by hand. Next, batery, fuel tank, an a clear fuel line, using the prime bulb, gas leaking from conectors, use a nedal to remove 3/8 x 1/4 o-ring, instal with k-y jeley, an a pencel, no more leaks. But can see alot of dirt in fuel line, back wash coming out of engin. I took out spark plugs, an roled engin over with starter, I have spark to plugs. ( that is good) But the fuel systom nedes clening. Remove batrey, water tank, an start moter brake down. now I can at lest see the fuel pump,an carburetor, will almost ( Bugs, Spiders, Mud dobers, an dirt.) I put the spark plugs back in, an used a power wash, now I can see. An you would not beleve the mud that cane out of the lower unit. Will it is at lest clen now. Next to remove fuel pump, an carb. for cleaning. Vary hard to work on, an I have the (Service Manual) But I have more time than money, do wish me luck
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

If its a Magnapower CD ignition, count your blessings that you've got spark - that little black box is priced at about 250-300 !
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

got to give you credit...I was faced withthe same for my OEM chysler sailor 15.... if you have the ime and patience it can be done and save you plenty...i was concerned about relaibility of the old and I mean jurassic in outboard years...I ponied up for a real pricey ( more than boat costs!) for a 4-stroke 9.9 hp suzuki...the good, starts and runs quiet and smooth..bad news..it is so damn heavy...beyond..about the weight of a 40hp two stroke...and now I have to deal with beefing up the outboard mounting bracket which I will try and do in teh fall too...glad I kept my ole two storke..her petite size and big "15" on her backside is looking more and more attractive to me
Chrysler20%26

12 HP

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

Yes my 12 HP is a Magnapower Alternator. Now I am rely hapy to have spark, after EE said the C-D unit cost so maney $$$$ My 15 HP is an Autolectric, ( has the lite on top) Got that one on E-Bay last year, the guy said he had it runing last year. Lot easyer to work on, has a starter generator, an a 36 inch shaft. Like I said, what ever works. I could use the Forse 9.9, an I got a new 13 HP ( ChangFa diesel ) it is a Yamer diesel, But I am not set up for an inbord. I'am stel working on the 12 H P. Just be cause things get old, dosent make them junk. Pepal just give up on them. Hay I'am old, an I work ( some times) Ges there right about old stuf.
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

You are so right, "just because they are old, people give up on them."

everyday people question my sanity about putting good money ( lots of it) into an old boat ( Ialso have a old truck..so I have more money pits than money!)

I would be interested in your yanmar diesel...if you are of a mind to part with it...I have an inboard project for my c-26 ( I have the saildrive) and have been looking around for small old diesel .. jsut asking...
Chrysler20%26

Fuel Pump

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

I got the fuel pump apart, filter was clein, reed's look good, but the diaphragm is as stif as tin. I gave it a good soaking in oil, an it got a littel softer. But for what a new one cost, I will be replacing it. Parts from (iboats.com) impeller $10.99, fuel pump kit $2.99, carb kit $12.99, shipping $9.60, Total $36.57. Same parts fit 9.9, 12, an 15 HP changfa diesel, you can find them on E-bay. Learn about them @ www.uterpower.com/changfa.htm Good power at low cost, I have the 195 A good plan would be to take the radater, an fuel tank off, for relocation, put the engin just forword of my trunk (I have a swing kell) under the sole, I would add a 3' or so saft an add a water pump, genarater, an mybe a hydriec pump. the engin can run under water, if you get a leek in the boat the water pump would get the water out. The outboard changing the powerhead is perty simpel. Why not go to electric, or hydriec.
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

nice detail onteh resurrection....I think I will attempt this on my 'ole chrysler 15 ...

If anyone knows a small yanmar or volvo diesel...I would be interested...I do already have teh saildrive for teh chrysler..