Where is the bilge on a 22

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
somers12

Where is the bilge on a 22

Post by somers12 »

Probably a stupid question that I think I already know the answer to. Is it in the little compartment with the tap in the starboard seat? And is the plumbing a method of pumping out the boat using a bilge pump? If not, what's it for?
If that is the bilge, then the boat is holding no water. So I hope it is.

I've had the boat out 5 times now, and wow!, is it fun. Just getting used to the heeling though. It's past the point of going over in a regular no keel boat. The last two times, I've just let her go, and she seems to be having fun too.

Please tell me where the bilge is for my own peace of mind. Thanks...

Steve
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

It really does not have one. The starboard thru hull was/is for the sink drain. I created a sump under the cockpit to catch water if my rudder starts leaking again but mine had a loose sump pump that you could drop in the lower part of the main floor and then pump the water into the cockpit where it can run out the back.
somers12

Post by somers12 »

Kind of surprised that there is no bilge, but if I start seeing water in the cabin, I'll keep your idea in mind. Sounds like it would work just fine.

Steve
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

Make sure that starboard seacock stays closed when sailing because on a port tack water will come up through it. Mine was letting water in but with the cushion covering it you could not see it and it would run to the back. I thought it was the rudder post because it kept filling my make shift bilge.
somers12

Post by somers12 »

Yep, I thought it could be a problem, so she's closed and I check it often. Especially since I thought it might be the bilge.

Steve