storage cradle vs. jacks

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
NYCSAILOR

storage cradle vs. jacks

Post by NYCSAILOR »

OK, I am moving my money pit ( oh sorry I mean C-26) to another marina ( the current marina calls it garbage, refuse to launch it in to the water saying it will sink and clog their operation and want it out of there and have been charging me $10/ft/day summer storgae -- I should just walk away from her, but I can't)

She is sitting in her OEM factory wooden shipping cradle...one mover said he will pick the whole thing up on a low flatbed and move her cradle and all ( hey that is how they got them to the dealer) another mover and the marina said teh wooden cradel is solid but fear , due to its age tha ny lateral movmeent might cause teh whole boat to sway and they are afraid to move her or the crade and want to put her in jack stands and cut away the cradle from underneath and then haul her on a sailboat trailer ( BTW..all this @ probably $100/hour for labor)

Any thoughts, I don't think I need the factory cradle anymore as most boats just sit on std jack stands...but she shure looks solid and happy and snug in her cradle and is pretty damn solid when I work on her in the hard...but it maight be time to say goodbye and part her from her cradle.
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

Your Money Pit { Boat Yard} Don't blam the boat. I have worked in N Y. On the 59 street brige. I know first hand that a lot of you doint have a lot of space. But steel, what you need most is a ( TRAILER)
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

I take that 59th street bridge every weekend out to LI to visit my boat and want to thank you for your work..it is hard work on that bridge and you would not be surprised to know that they are STILL working onthat bridge as I type!

You are so right that I need a trailer....I have been shopping for one for years to solve my problem ( see my threads) but used ones are in short supply and since I have the fixed keel 26 I need a little more beef I think in the trailer...I am fascinated by what EE did to modify a powerboat trailer ( of which there are lots avail. ) to move the EE.
NYCSAILOR

OK, What does anyone think of this trailer set-up...

Post by NYCSAILOR »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/24-Foot- ... enameZWDVW

boy would this ever solve my problems BUT now the marina ( it its efforts to not let me out of their grasp) says they will not trust the cradle enough to simply pick up the cradle and boat with their Hyster and place it on my flatbed trailer ( to be purchased) for this purpose....unreal..[/img]

I am, curious what the group thinks of this set-up for short hauls , say less than 20 miles and what method they might use to secure the OEM shipping cradle to the deck of the trailer.. I would be most worried about the force generated on the old wood cradle from a short stop should someone cut me off while towing etc. the problem I think with cradles is that you never know the extent of rot inside the pipes or in this case the timbers... sure looks attractive to me but may not be smart..but ..ya know..I have seen much worse.
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

OK,

got the boat hauled --ON ITS CRADLE! for all the belly aching of the haulers and the yard and marina owners/workers the set-up moved about 80 miles -- rock solid not even a sway.

Well when she got to her new home and was in the sling being unloaded, and unloaded her cradle..the cradle was solid...after sitting for 30 years! unreal..the cradle is just wood timbers after all but it was solid and the hauler told me to just get me a utility or landacape trailer and all will be fine...