Swing keel back in... final countdown

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
squint

Swing keel back in... final countdown

Post by squint »

I replaced my swing keel brackets with a set purchased from Trey. They are fantastic!

Anyway, this past weekend I managed to fight the keel back into place... not as easy task! I eventually managed to get the boat blocked up high enough on the trailer, then flipped the keel upright using jacks, come alongs, a 2x8 and some foul language.

I also picked up my CDI furler and brand new genoa. I think I'm getting closer!

Still need to:
-mount new masthead & shorten fore & backstay (the boat is a "bastard" rig that I am trying to sort out)
-mount swim ladder
-pull outboard out of storage and test run
-run some new running rigging
1971 Chrysler 22 "Ms Fortune"
Rigged, rerigged and rejigged
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

Flashback...................yep been there done that, I got some help with my keel but it sounds like it went pretty much the same..................now if the caulking holds..................... :wink: that had to be the biggest relief for me was getting it in the water and then banging around in some heavy weather and seeing the caulk job still holding, keel still in place. :D
squint

Post by squint »

All my standing rigging is now sorted out, and my CDI furler is all set up. I've been running my outboard in a barrel and it seems to be working great.

Still left to do:
-Mount ladder
-finish running rigging.
-Apply boat name & stripes
-install battery
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Oh, the dreaded stripe !

I had the hardest time getting the stripes on EE straight, even though I was closely following the path left by the old stripes. I would be so careful, then step back and see a bit of waviness here and there.

Finally used the "modified snap a chalk line" method - I rolled off enough for the whole side, attached the middle of the stripe about halfway down the hull, walked forward keeping the stripe away from the hull until I got to the bow, pulled it taut, and stuck it to the right place on the bow, which meant the rest of the stripe snapped to the hull in a straight line between those two points. Repeated from the middle point to the stern, and it was perfect.

Anybody else have a pet method ?
squint

Post by squint »

I measured 3" down from the rail, and put small pencil marks every 6" or so. That was my guide as I pulled the sticker along. I'd get a 3' section lined up, then pull the release paper and press on a small section, then repeat.

Turned out pretty good! If I notice a spot that starts to bug me, well I have 150' of the stripe. They made me buy a whole roll
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

The original stripe on the side on my boat was not the same distance from the rail all the way down. Fortunately I could still make out its position even after painting and I just followed it doing 3 or 4 feet at a time continuous from one end to the other. Since I stripped all the paint off the bottom and the old boot strip which is part of the gel coat was visible and I taped off to the top of it for the bottom paint then lapped the side paint 2 " below that and centered up the boot stripe on the seam to cover it and give a little extra protection to the seam between paint colors.