Chrysler Mast

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Chrysler20%26

Chrysler Mast

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

I have my C-20 along side my C-26. Thay look good together, cind of like mother an douther. So now I sit in my living room an look at bouth of them together. I know "I should try SAILING Them" OK The mast, thay are the same, made from the same stock, an the same lenth. The hook on the step is differnt, an are the size of the cables,"diamator" Did Chrysler use the same mast for the C-20, C-22 an C-26. Boy I could sore have a lot of sail, if I put the boom from the C-26 on the C-20.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

I've never read one way or the other, but it would make sense that the same cross-section mast was used just for mass production reasons
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

I have always thought mine a little larger than it needed it to be. Many other boats the same size as the 22 have what appear to be much smaller diameter masts.
Gus

Post by Gus »

The Chrysler 22 have a lot of features found on 'big boats': beefy mast, toe-rail, thru-hull rudder, etc. Found me a mac like that and I buy it :D
1976 Chrysler 22 Halve Maen - Sail # 595
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

curious, what is the lenght of the c-26 mast?

anyone have a method for raising the c-26 mast at teh dock while in the water?
amayotte

Post by amayotte »

29.4 feet
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

THANKS SO MUCH....

the boatyard is charging me a $170 mast surcharge ( this is over and above the mast raisng / lowering fee ) since they say themast is 30' or over.... unreal guys , unreal...I so badly need a trailer but I have the fixed keel 26 and those trailers are rare and pricey here
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

170.00 extra for 30 minutes work..........I'm in the wrong business !

Mast stepping 'r' US "We come to you" Rain, sleat or snow (no lightning) * !

*We charge extra during hurricanes :)
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

Oh you don't know how right you are...I did not even talk about the "electronics" surcharge of 1.50 per foot of mast...to do what you ask...to plug in the anchor light whenthey step the mast....it is just unreal...I am trying to calculate how quickly I could pay off a trailer by savig these fees and I keep finding more , so I guess I should be happy so that I can justify a trailer...

I have no problem affording the boat and the sailing etc. but I am wondering if with these fees I shuould have a more expensive boat tojustify these outlays...OH...you cannot do ANY work below the waterline..that means thru hulls...and ..you guessed it my rudder refurbish..ONLY they can do that..I said you are kidding and he said NO. I asked what others do...he said they trailer it to another locationor theri house to do the work... what a hassle...and I am paying for the storage to begin with!!!

sorry for the NYC rant.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Yeesh ! Time for a trailer for sure. I bet if you'd use the same design as we did for EE, you could get a fixed keel on there.

Keel would rest on the trailer, or course. Then if you slid the lower adjustable bunks up the 45 degree side rails farther they should catch the hull right where it rounds to vertical, and the upper bunks would steady her between there and the toe rails somewhere

I think you've seen the pics, but I'll post the links again here.

http://my.att.net/p/s/community.dll?ep= ... 280778&ck=
http://my.att.net/p/s/community.dll?ep= ... 280776&ck=

Man it hurt looking at those barnacled bottom pics again !
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

That reminds me of a story, when I was a young whipper snapper about 13, I had an old friend......he was about 85 at the time :) who had a 40+ foot boat. He would tie a line to the upper portion of his main mast back to near shore on his dock and use a come-along to pull the boat over to nearly 45 degrees then I could get in his dingy and scrape all them boogers off and give it a touch up painting of anti-fouling paint so he did not have to haul the behemoth out every year. The barnacles did not go much below the water line though where we lived so you could get them all this way.
ronc98

Post by ronc98 »

just curious, how much farther down does the fixed keel extend on the c-26?
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Specs say the swing keel minimum draft is 2'3" and fixed keel draft is 3'11". So maybe 1' 8" is the difference, although the specs quote "draft" and since the fixed displaces 500 pounds more than the swing, it may not be quite that much.

The shoal keel itself on EE measures about 15-20" below the hull bottom depending on the location. Maybe NYC can give us the same measurement on the fixed keel.
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

DRAFT: I wish I would have measured the keel. I have been going by 4.4 feet that I found in a brochure on -line somewhere. The boat yard measured it from what they thought would be the waterline and they came up with. I think 4 feet. In the fall when I haul I would measure it.

Right now I got three months to deal with the winter storage issue. I am thinking of going with cradle/landcape/utility trailer option...but I am not sure I can launch her from that type of rig.