Help needed - Bimini top

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
LesleyS

Help needed - Bimini top

Post by LesleyS »

Hello everyone, I have seen this thread posted from time to time without seeing the information I am looking for - so I thought I'd try a new thread.

My father (82 years old, God Bless Him) and I have a 26 foot Chrysler, vintage 1979. There has never been any Bimini installed on this boat, but the time has come with the extremely hot and sunny days, to consider getting a Bimini so we can enjoy the boat during the heat of the summer. (And to keep him healthy in the heat at his age.)

Can anyone provide some information on manufacturers that will fit the Chrysler sailboat, or measurements for a bimini that can be used under sail for a custom-built Bimini, or ANY advice from your own personal experience with your Bimini cover?

I really appreciate your input and advice on this, thanks in advance!

Happy Sailing,
Lesley
Kiwi II
1979 Chrysler 26
Wilmington, Delaware
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

WOW! My dad is 82 ( NAVY WWI D-DAY VET) and doin' so so for the age...these guys are truly amazin and an inspiration...anyway there is a thread here somewhere where somone even posted or will email you plans for a home made biminni for the c-26....exit can help you I am sure.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

My father-in-law is 82-ish USCG retired

My bimini frame is in pieces in the shed at the moment, but its measurements are 84" wide, 6' long, 54" height. It attached to the toe rails, and the rear frame member went just behind the backstays, and it opened forward to just behind the boom/

Taylor Made has some inexpensive ones in various sizes, West Marine carries them.

The theoretical way of measuring is get the distance between the mounting tabs on the boat (in my case it was the toe rails but you can put a bracket wherever), then measure the height from the measuring points up (for head/boom clearance, then measure the length, say from the boom end to the backstay and use that for the length.

Hope that helps
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Here's an update, found this site

http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/06/how ... /index.htm

There's a link to a bimini frame calculator (referred to on the page as a "spreadsheet")

I may just try and make one from scratch, looks fun and cheap.
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

ERRATA ( my dad is a WWII as in the second ww) vet!