1st Shakedown

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

1st Shakedown

Post by EmergencyExit »

Got her put back together, somewhat, and had a short shakedown yesterday, but it wasn't a great day for a slow sailboat on our small lake
Details here
http://www.pelyc.org/news.html

But other than a balky outboard (bogging down above a third of throttle) all went okay, at least as far as the boat went, as you might note from the article above !
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Some sneaky person caught me in the act of making the mess into a boat:

Gus

Post by Gus »

sounds kinda when I went to jordan lake two weekends ago. No wind, hot as hell, tons of power boats, and add a thunderstorm while I was in the middle of the lake.
1976 Chrysler 22 Halve Maen - Sail # 595
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Yep, Gus, just like that, except we were back before the thunderstorm we had hit us !
Chrysler20%26

Nice Boat

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

Vary good looking sailboat, good job,hard work bays off. Better days to come.
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

Yeah we have reached that part of the Summer where if you are diehard enough to stick it out and endure the heat and lack of wind during the day you are rewarded with large bolts of electricity on your way in :) Ah but it is good to get it out on the water the first time and get it back without any major problems and the steady breezes of fall are not all that far away, by then you'll have any bugs worked out and really be able to reap the benefits of all that hard work.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Oh yeah- summer down south, no wind in the morning, boomers in the afternoon. Worked around that today while I finished up the last minute work by taking about 48 years off my actual age, climbing aboard in an old pair of shorts, and everytime it too got hot, just jumping over and hitting the lake in a big ole cannonball.

Looking forward to the fall and some evening cruises up the lake to eat some good Looz-ee-anna seafood on the water.

THIS is why we all work so hard on these old boats !
Gus

Post by Gus »

That's why I don't like lake sailing at all... I wish I could go to the coast more often. Salt water its a bit harder on the boat, but the weather in the ocean its so much cooler. When I was in the lake, sweating up, I took a dip in the water, and it was like jumping in a hot shower!! Not fun at all.
1976 Chrysler 22 Halve Maen - Sail # 595
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

I've been missing my Alabama Gulf Coast trips the last few years, and you're right, its better. Hopefully we will get a trip on EE next year.

I'd really like to make a run by all the old abandoned lighthouses from Lake Ponchartrain to Florida
STEVE ROYER

Post by STEVE ROYER »

Now that would be a great run to get in to .Take a few weeks and get away.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Steve,
There are a handful of old derelict ones, nearly gone, between us and Florida

http://www.lighthousefriends.com/pull-lights.asp

This site lists them by state, with some great history and pics

I was thinking of starting at Tchefuncte on the northshore, then out the Rigolets past Fort Pike (Katrina nearly did that in), down to Pass Manchac (all but gone now), then double back past the Chandeleurs, then to Biloxi (which is inland now), then Sand Island in Alabama (near Forts Gaines and Morgan and barely on a spit of rock now), then past Fort Pickens to Pensacola.
STEVE ROYER

Post by STEVE ROYER »

BEAU
Sounds like a really nice run. Im figuring Ill have MOON SHADOW ready for next summer . I just got my auto pilot in (not installed yet) and my next thing is to get her off the trailor and drop the keel and blast and coat it and do a bottom job. then install a head. Im hoping to get her in the water in October for a week in Lake Aurther.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Good Luck Steve, keep plugging at it !

I'm over at False River now, no wind, flat lake, nobody at all on the water, waiting on the boomers- I did get the outboard running better this morning

Hey this fall when there's wind I'll drop you an email, maybe you can get over this way. You're welcome aboard anytime
STEVE ROYER

Post by STEVE ROYER »

Thanks for the invite .sounds like a date.