Everyone have a safe Memorial day

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
ronc98

Everyone have a safe Memorial day

Post by ronc98 »

It looks to be a busy weekend on the water since it is the start of boating season. Wishing everyone a safe trip if you are going to be on the water.

I plan on launching on friday morning and then not pulling out until monday morning. With the high gas prices I think it might not be as crazy as days past but still figure there will be a decent amount of boats out there.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Ditto, everyone be careful, have a great weekend.
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

I third that motion, I'll probably put in early Monday morning or maybe even Sunday afternoon because the weather could be pretty nasty on Saturday................if you can believe the Weather forecast.
ronc98

Post by ronc98 »

Three days on the water not touching dry land was amazing. I would still be out there but I ran out of provisions. I guess I should plan a little better next time.

For two days winds were super low, 3-5 knots, so it made for some slow sailing. One day we got into the 10-13 knot range, which made it much more fun. Over all I sailed a little more then 50 nm and got a great sun tan/burn.

The best part of the whole trip was all the tiny loose ends I needed to finish before heading off to Lake Erie I got completed and tested.
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

I was out yesterday as well with the oldest and his wife....yet another missed forecast (though they were correct about no rain) but with the extra hand the gusts were easily managed by flattening the sails and keeping the sheets tightly hauled, we stopped for a swim art mid day. All in all we had a good time, I'm looking forward to some overnight camping soon myself. Perhaps some scallop fishing on the gulf coast in July would be a good weekend for it.
Leeway

Post by Leeway »

Great weekend up in northern Wisconsin. I had the lake almost all to myself. Mostly just people fishing. I saw no PWCs or waterskiers, mostly becasue the water was still pretty frigid. We had mid 70's on Saturday and low 60's on Sunday. Nice south wind both days, but Sunday was better for sailing.
Lee Hoeppner
Boat: C-15 Man-o-War
Name: Sea'chele
Year: Pre-1973
ronc98

Post by ronc98 »

The gas prices sure kept the power boaters off the lake where I am at. usually there is a 5-10 boat wait to get to the ramp. Both in and out I was the only one.

Something nice about having a whole lake to yourself.
Leeway

Post by Leeway »

Yeah, at $4 or higher per gallon it's not only expensive to run the boats, but also to drive to the lake in the car. Especially hauling a boat. I think it cost me about $120 in gas for the trip. I can't believe my in-laws drive up there every other weekend!
Last edited by Leeway on Tue May 27, 2008 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lee Hoeppner
Boat: C-15 Man-o-War
Name: Sea'chele
Year: Pre-1973
FranS

Post by FranS »

On line at West Marine on Saturday the guy in front of me was complaining how it cost $500 to fill his 38 foot power boat. I just had to mention how we spent $10.00 on gas for the ENTIRE season last year :-)
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

Yep, I've been out three times and the fuel gauge still hasn't moved. I did see quite a few power boats but they were almost all at anchor most near shore swimming and what not.
mga1951

Post by mga1951 »

Hi Guys,
A wonderful time on the lake in southwest ohio. Saturday was a full day on the water. Winds 8-10 w/ gusts to 12/15.

Friday did not start out so good! As most of us have seen at the ramps the usual number of boats putting in I wanted to get an early start.
Got to the ramp early afternoon expecting the Memorial wknd traffic to be busy!

Step the mast , in the water. My 8 mo. old Merc had a stuck float needle. Gas shooting out the overflow. Went to raise the motor, my helper knocked the kill switch lanyard in the water to the bottom. I am old school and the outboards I was raised on did not have this lanyard. I did not realize it held the button out so you can get spark and start the engine. I know NOW!!!

Boat back on trailer! :(
I fixed the stuck float. Motor would not start. Tried everything. We now lowered the mast and ready to call it quits. A fisherman putting in started asking me quetions about the boat.
"Were we done for the day or rigging to go in? Told him our predicament. First thing he says, "Where's your kill switch lanyard?" Its at the bottom of the ramp! :( Bought a lanyard w/ the piece for the kill switch $13.99!! Glad I found one. Note to all (make sure you have an extra one)

Now it's time for dinner! Go back to the house. Eat!
Back down to ramp after we ate. Putting the boat into the water, somehow
being a deep and steep ramp. The boat came off and someone at the stern started to pull the boat towards the dock.
I pull the trailer out and BANG the keel was resting on the back bunk board and it snapped in 2 pieces.
Had to fix that the next day. :(

At this time I was thinking we might not want to go out!!!
Sat. morning my nephew and I stepped the mast on the water and we had the best time w/ my 72 yr old father, brother, uncle and my nephew.

It is times like these that make all the little mishaps go by the wayside.
My father had not been on this lake for over 30 years.

As we were on the water I look across the lake and this boat looks very similar to a C-22. As we got closer it was! I yelled out what year ?"78" he says
I yell back mines a "76". He yells to me and says these boats will still be floating 30 years from now!! :)

If you read this and you were on Rocky Fork lake sat. Send me your info. We will be back.

As my wife says, look at all the experience we are getting. :)
Jeffrey
Fore Sail
1976 C-22
ronc98

Post by ronc98 »

you stepped the mast on the water?

cool we need to talk. How much harder is it on the water then on the dry?

Think you could do is single handed?