First time out in 2008

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Leeway

First time out in 2008

Post by Leeway »

Well, I am heading to Northern Wisconsin this weekend with the C-15 Man-o-war for my first outing of the year. I'm anticipating that the water will still be pretty chilly, so I hope I don't dump it at all! brrrrrr!

I have all but one of my repairs/projects completed that I wanted to get done. I replaced the cockpit portals, reinforced the cracks on the centerboard trunk, and added the flotation foam (pool noodles) in the side cavities. I wanted to get an aluminum rub rail installed on the top back edge of the cockpit where the tiller rubs when the rudder is in the up position, but ran out of time. Might still get to it before I leave Friday.

I also have to get the registration numbers on, but I don't consider that a repair, only a nuisance!

All in all, Sea'chele has never been in such good condition since I've owned her and I can't wait to get her out on the water this weekend.
Lee Hoeppner
Boat: C-15 Man-o-War
Name: Sea'chele
Year: Pre-1973
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

Registration numbers, you have got to be kidding.......................I'd get rid of my Sunfish if I had to register it too.
Leeway

Post by Leeway »

Tell me about it! :x

Wisconsin requires all sail boats over 12' to be registered whether they have a motor or not. Having a motor costs more. The sunfish I believe is 12" exactly and does not require registration.

It took about 3 months or more to get my registration numbers because the boat was built prior to 1973 and did not have a HID number on it and was never registered in Wisconsin before. The denied it the first go round. I didn't get my numbers until after I had my boat put away in the Fall!
Lee Hoeppner
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

You may be thinking of the minifish, the Sunfish is 14' or actually 13'9".

I can understand a boat that needs a ramp to launch, the money to build and up keep them has to come from somewhere but anything that can be launched without a ramp should be exempt.

All that said, go have some fun, you got some catching up to do. We southerners here in Florida have been on the water for a while (without fear of freezing if and when we fell in). :wink:
Leeway

Post by Leeway »

You're right. I was thinking of a Butterfly, which is 12' 2" actually, so even that now would need to be registered! The lower limit used to be 14 feet.
Lee Hoeppner