C-22 Jib sheet location

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

C-22 Jib sheet location

Post by Banshi »

OK, I have had a sail now to see how everything works under sail and I have found two thing out. 1) I think the position of the rail snatch block is to far forward and in real light winds it should be bypassed all together 2) That winch position is useless in heavy weather if you are sailing single handed (no way to lock it off without risking a knock down), it needs to be higher and some sort of swiveling clam cleat so you can work it from the windward side of the boat. Anyone agree with this? Anyone tried anything different?
FranS

Post by FranS »

What kind of a cleat do you have aft of the winch? Ours came with clam cleats which were worn and the sheet popped out very easily. We replaced them with Harken Jam cleats which work well. My husband single hands often and has never had a problem.
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

It's an old jamb and does need replacing but access is really where I found myself at a quaundry. As the wind picked up I needed to tighten the jib up but the only way to get to it was to move to the leeward side of the boat risking a knock down with to much weight on that side of the boat during a hard gust. I tried crossing the companion way to the windward winch but they are to low and the sheet drags on the hatch rails.
matt

Post by matt »

On a similar note, we are also looking for some jib sheet insight.
We just got a new jib (120%) and it looks beautiful. However, to get a nice shape out of the jib, I need a block further forward. I've put a snatch block on the toe rail, but from this location the jib sheet puts pressure on the life-line.

Any tips or modifications to share?

Cheers,
Matt
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

I have pretty much decided to put double cheek blocks at the back corner of the cockpit so I can run my jib lines around to the windward side of the boat when the winds gets to strong to be messing around on the leeward side.

I took my rails down before I ever sailed but the wife is asking for me to put them back on. I am not sure what I'll do if I put the rails back on.

I had to move my block back in line with the winch to get the shape right on my old blown out jib.
IslandHopper

Post by IslandHopper »

I've never figured out how to fly a large headsail without it rubbing the lifelines. I've put "chaffing patches" on the sail at those locations... just used sticky-back 3M Sail Patch material. I never had it wear the sail badly, but I did it just as a precaution.
1975 Man-O-War
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

Your post on the traveler thread reminded me why I will eventually have to put the rails back up...........grand kids are not to far off for me and we can't have them sliding off into the water :)
IslandHopper

Post by IslandHopper »

Banshi wrote:.......grand kids are not to far off for me and we can't have them sliding off into the water :)
Those aren't my grandkids ... they're my own kids. But I see your point... they have resigned themselves to the idea that lifejackets are required ANYtime they're above-deck.
1975 Man-O-War
matt

Post by matt »

IslandHopper wrote:I've never figured out how to fly a large headsail without it rubbing the lifelines. I've put "chaffing patches" on the sail at those locations... just used sticky-back 3M Sail Patch material. I never had it wear the sail badly, but I did it just as a precaution.
You raise a good point. Most of the time the foot of our sail gets over the lifelines ok, but as I mentioned, I'm trying to find the ideal location for a block to keep the sheets from putting pressure on the life-lines.

I'll take a picture next time I'm out. (Hopefully soon!!)