Cleaning white deposit on boat bottom

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
somers12

Cleaning white deposit on boat bottom

Post by somers12 »

I bought my boat (a C-22) last fall and have had her stored over the winter. Last weekend, I brought her home so I can work on her and get her ready for the coming sailing season. (still 6 in of ice on the lake)

This is the first chance I've had to take inventory, and all looks very good. She seems to have a new swing Keel bolt assembly and winch, the rudder seems to work fine when I pull the ropes to raise and lower it, all the shroud and stay wires seem to be here, and the sails (although grey) seem in pretty good shape. She must have been moored in water for quite some time because there is a white deposit on it's bottom (much like you'd find in a water kettle) from the water line down. In some places it's one-sixteenth of an in thick.

My wife recommends 'CLR", one neighbour says vinegar, my other neighbour says lemon juice.

Have any of you had positive results with a better solution? It's a big job and any suggestions to cut down on the elbow grease is appreciated. One plus... since it was moored, it looks like I didn't buy a submarine.

Thanks in advance Steve
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

I had a similar problem after taking my little Coronado 15 on a camping trip and leaving it in the water, but mine was brown algae stains, yours up your way is probably mineral scale ? At any rate, I had this link in my collection of handy stuff:

http://www.bassresource.com/fishing/bas ... nance.html
somers12

Post by somers12 »

EmergencyExit wrote:I had a similar problem after taking my little Coronado 15 on a camping trip and leaving it in the water, but mine was brown algae stains, yours up your way is probably mineral scale ? At any rate, I had this link in my collection of handy stuff:

http://www.bassresource.com/fishing/bas ... nance.html

Thanks EE... lots of good cleaning idea's on that site... I've bookmarked it, and I've got to try the oven cleaner.

I don't want to get into raising the boat, so it looks like I'm going to have to unclean strips where she sits on the six inch wide supports. So I'm either going to have to teach the wife to swim and hold her breath... or dig out the suba gear this summer.

Steve
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

I didn't try the oven cleaner to remove old graphics, and didn't have any painted on names, etc to remove as they suggest, but I did try it as a remover for some stubborn ablative bottom paint remains. Too many fumes, didn't work that great, and I wouldn't have tried it if I knew there was only gelcoat under what I was removing.
somers12

Post by somers12 »

My boat is a 1976 and in supprisingly good shape, but at one time I believe she was an American boat due to the few letters I can make out on her hull. In Canada, we don't have to register a boat unless it's over 24 feet or has a 10 hp motor or greater. Mine is a 9.9 Nissan, so I won't bother with the registration. I'll put the name 'Prairie Pirate" over the current number location, and try a few products noted on the web site to remove the reminents of the stick on numbers.

Bit of a hold up here because we got 15 inches of snow dumped on us in the last week. It's supposed to be better weather this week, but I still think we should strangle that damned groundhog who forcast an early spring.

Oh Well... dreaming is fun... Steve
STEVE ROYER

Post by STEVE ROYER »

be careful with the oven cleaner ,it tends to strip paint and I would think gelcoat would probably be damaged are scarred. so just be careful
somers12

Post by somers12 »

Yes... Thanks.

I was going to try oven cleaner until I read it's warnings. "Do not use on plastic', and at least six other materials. I don't know how closely related plastic is to fibreglass, (if at all) and I surely don't want to harm the jell coat, so I believe I'll pass on the experiment.

I did try 'CLR', and vinegar with no positive results, even after letting it soak in for a half an hour. Lemon juice, on the other hand, worked the best, but I still have to scrape off the deposit. The bottom is a big job... and growing every time I look at it. Looks like I'm going to get my exercise this weekend.

At least the snow is gone and the weather should be good.

Thanks... Steve
Gus

Post by Gus »

if the crud its dry, like in my boat, i had good results with a very fine sand paper and a bit of water.

Gus
1976 Chrysler 22 Halve Maen - Sail # 595
somers12

Post by somers12 »

Thanks Gus... A fine idea.

Steve