Antenna Feed Line

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
matt

Antenna Feed Line

Post by matt »

Hey folks,

I'm going to be running an new antenna feed line up the mast on Elixir this week and I'm looking for some advice.
Our previous feed line came down through the mast and out at the deck where it passed through the deck via a gland. I'd like to make any new wiring capable of disconnect should we want to take the mast down again.

My question is, should I replace the gland with one big enough to pass a PL259 connector through, or should I install a panel mount connector on the deck? Or is there another approach I should consider?

My next question is, do you think marine-grade coax is worth the extra $ ? My understanding is that the difference with marine-grade is that the wire is tinned.

Any thoughts?

-Matt
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

EE has the cable passing thru the deck a few inches and ending in a female PL-259 that attaches to a male to allow for disconnect. (female connector is on a short "pigtail", is not a panel mount connector)

The cable runs inside the head area where the mast post is.

Was that way when we got it,but if I was going to do it over, I think I'd go with a deck top mounted connector - might less flex than I have now with that pigtail and 2 heavy connectors flopping around.

If I was going to drill a hole and do the pigtail thing,I think I'd repeat what was done on mine, drill hole only large enough for the cable, then solder the connector on.
matt

Post by matt »

If I was going to drill a hole and do the pigtail thing,I think I'd repeat what was done on mine, drill hole only large enough for the cable, then solder the connector on.
This is what was previously done on Elixir. However, this meant that I had to cut the PL259 off in order to de-step the mast. We don't trailer her, so maybe this is good enough...

I'm considering going with a Blue Sea Cable Clam Fitting from West Marine that is big enough to pass the PL259 connector through.

Some folks have cautioned me that a deck top mounted connector may be prone to corrosion, but I'm wondering if it is any more prone than the connector thats on the antenna itself?
Windwalker

Post by Windwalker »

Hello Matt,

I would use a "panel mount" type of connector. Make sure to use a marine grade connector with a screw top that will seal when you have the connector open for mast removal, service, etc.. This type of connector is easier to seal and to maintain the seal against leaks. There are several manufacturers and distributors (my favorite is Defender, http://www.defender.com/).

Marine grade coax is worth the cost only if you do not want to repeat the job in less then one year. Water in general is tough on copper and salt environments are especially so. While the center wire is protected adequately, the unprotected shield will corrode quickly.

It's more often then not less expensive to use high quality materials at the start of a project. There is less problem in the future and it will usually last far longer.