Source for rudder bearing

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
ronc98

Source for rudder bearing

Post by ronc98 »

I noticed today while putting my rudder back on my C-26 that is has a decent size crack in it. Looks like it has been glued together. Anyone know of a source for these?
Gus

Post by Gus »

you mean the plastic thru-hull? I had bit time trouble trying to find one that will let me run the rudder post thought it, the size was right, the the inside hole was way too small. Do what I did, replaced the rubber hose and re-used the bearings (I used epoxy to glass everything in place) not a drop of water in the bilge now :)
1976 Chrysler 22 Halve Maen - Sail # 595
ronc98

Post by ronc98 »

No the thru hull is fine, the bearing itself is cracked. It looks a bit like a mushroom.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

If you mean the mushroom looking bearing, try calling the folks at

http://www.idasailor.com

Its not listed on their site, but I think they have them as well as rudders.

If I remember right, Jeff has them from there on Windward.
keysskipper

Post by keysskipper »

Idasailor told me I bought the last one, they stopped production on the C-26 match, could have been a sales pitch, the new bearing came with the awesome rudder 8) KS
ronc98

Post by ronc98 »

They had one left that was a blemish. I almost bought it but I ended up making two of my own out of UHMW.

There is not much left on the boat that I have not made or modified myself.

Boat is almost 99 finished, I will be pulling it out of storage next week. All the minor things I can do while on the water.

I will post pics as soon as I get it outside in some good light.
essen48183

Make your own

Post by essen48183 »

I am currently using a 1 1/2" thru- hull fitting that I drilled the inside out of with a 1 1/2" hole saw. (that makes it fit and ends up knocking off the barbed end) A PVC pipe cap from home depot will thread onto it and stay put with the aid of some pvc cement. Then drill through the whole assembly again with the hole saw and slide it on over the rudder post. seems to be working and PVC is used for water pipes so it should last.
essen48183

no go on the pvc pipe cap

Post by essen48183 »

There's a little play in it... just enough to be annoying. Where did you get a block of UHMW that size? I have a lathe I don't know how to use.
ronc98

Post by ronc98 »

I have access to alot of different plastics. I just got lucky.

You can try Mcmaster.com they have alot to choose from .
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

I got mine form IdaSailor also...still have to install them...I amwaiting for a source for the rudder blade and would liek to do everything ...even the thru hull at the same time.. I hope to be in the water sometime this season..boats been out of water about 8 years...!
essen48183

drawings for rolling your own

Post by essen48183 »

Ron C took some precise measurements of his backup rudder bearing made out of UHMW plastic. (Thanks Ron) His source for UHMW was correct I got 1' of 3.5" rod for $16. I could've gotten 3" but I didn't know any better. He sent me a pretty precise drawing, but the size on the printer was not correct, so I couldn't print it and build it. I went ahead and drew it up with his dimensions and saved it in several formats, TC3, DWG, IGES, PDF, BMP. You should be able to use any format to print a 100% scale drawing to build from. If you don't have the ability to do that, you should be able to use the 3D IGES file by sending it to a plastic prototyper... I don't know how much they charge.

http://www.essenproductions.com/forumda ... ring3d.zip

Essen