spreader tips.

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
somers12

spreader tips.

Post by somers12 »

I recently picked up a 1976 c-22 and the spreaders look origional to the boat. Trouble is... the tips are just 1/8 in notches cut vertically on both. Seems to me that this would cause unneccessary wear to the shroud cables. Am I missing some plastic tips? It seems that every picture I see, shows tips. If I am missing them, any idea on where would I buy some, or how would I fabricate the tips? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any help.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

C22 (and C26) manuals I've seen only show a plastic wheel above the spreader to clear the jib, nothing on the spreaders themselves.

If you haven't already found it, you can print an original manual from

www.chryslersailing.lizards.net

Good pic of the rigging/spreader there in Figure 6.
somers12

Post by somers12 »

Thanks, and yes, I've seen the site and that article. But still, on many pictures of c 22's, I see unmistakenable spreader tips on c 22's. Perhaps people are frabricating their own.

Thanks... Steve
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

Hey Steve,

Congrats on your C-22 and welcome! It's a fun boat for sure...

I made my own "tips" after pricing some options out of a cutting board I got for $5 at welfare mart. There made from a UHMW like material. I cut out some 3-4" circles, a hole in the middle for the shroud to pass through and a couple small ones to wire it in place. It sits on top of the spreader, extends out past the end of it an inch or two and keeps the sail well off any sharpie pokies. It worked well for me...

Billy
somers12

Post by somers12 »

Thanks for the tips info Billy, I will definately keep your solution in mind.

I suspected that I'd have to make something on my own to save the shrouds,

but that probably won't be until spring. In Calgary, the lakes ice up and the

snow doesn't leave until the end of March.

Thanks... Steve
Gus

Post by Gus »

Get a set of leather spreader boots. I learned my lesson after one of the cotter pins made a rip in the mainsail.

Gus
1976 Chrysler 22 Halve Maen - Sail # 595
somers12

Post by somers12 »

Thanks Gus. I must admit... I hadn't thought of that one. But another item for my list. Did you buy yours, make yours? Any chanch of a picture?

Thanks Steve (somers12@shaw.ca)
Gus

Post by Gus »

Steve: I bought mine at www.defender.com The complete kit came with the two boots, needle and tread. Not a problem since the installation. The wheels help, but those cotter pins are dangerous! I don't know if I have a picture, but I can take one, no problem.

Gus
somers12

Post by somers12 »

Thanks Gus. I ordered one from Defender... apparently the last one.

Sure hope it works. Are you saying that you still have to use the spreader disks when using the boots.

Thanks... Steve
mga1951

Post by mga1951 »

Hi,
West Marine sells boots as well. They have a picture to look at.
My wife looked at that and she made our own spreader covers using the picture for a pattern.
Works very well, made them out of a heavy material w/ padding and we use the wheels also.
Jeffrey
Fore Sail
1976 C-22
Gus

Post by Gus »

Steve: my boat came with the wheels, but honestly, I don't think they make much of a difference. A friend of mine has a Precision 18, and he also has the wheels, but they are bigger. If you need to replace/add the wheels to the shrouds, I can't think of a way to do it with all all the fittings in the wire.

Gus
somers12

Post by somers12 »

Yeah Gus... I'll find some way to attach rings if they are necessary after I make some kind of better spreader tip. I'll check out West marine. Thanks for the help.

Steve...
Gus

Post by Gus »

No problem, by the way, my 22 spreader tips are is just a groove in the spreader, secured by a cotter pin.

Gus