October launch & parking options in Oriental, Bath or ??

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Windward

October launch & parking options in Oriental, Bath or ??

Post by Windward »

All,

Last couple of summers we chartered on Pamlico Sound and had a blast. Unless Murphy signs on as crew (or I don't finish installing bilge pumps or larger water, fuel and head capacity), my wife, son and I are planning to haul Windward to the sound for a week in October, and I'd like to line up launch options early.

Is Smith Creek ramp the best launch option in Oriental? If I leave the trailer connected to the truck, can I leave the rig there for a week? If I do, am I likely to find broken glass and an oil stain where my truck used to be?

While Bath is lovely and certainly another option, I don't think there's a ramp or parking there and since it's a ways from the sound it might limit our destinations, so Oriental would be first choice. Besides, gotta eat at Steamers at least once.

While I realize that attitude is the difference between ordeal and adventure, I want this to be fun for them. I love big wind and reasonable waves, but the rest of the crew's not wild about it. Going out Beaufort Inlet in an Ericson 28 last June did not please my wife or son, :shock: but they'd never experienced real waves before. The waves were running 5-8 feet with the occasional sportfisher contributing a 6 foot wake at an odd angle, but we only shipped greenwater a couple of times. We also sailed through a decent squall (winds to 36 kt, waves commensurately sized) between Broad Creek and Turnagain Bay. Lots of spray there, and a couple of major dousings.

I'm planning a couple of alternate itineraries to keep the crew with grins on their gobs, but if Wx is promising we'll at least sail up and spend a day at Ocracoke, and possibly head out to Cape Lookout. I'd love to go outside around to get from one to the other, but would probably do that the first time sans famille.

Input or alternative launch/parking tips welcome.
Gus

Post by Gus »

When are you coming down? There's a big sailing trip to Cape Lookout October 12-13-14. Last time they had about 24 boats, a big cookout, and lots of sailing.

More info at www.ncsail.org click on the Pirates Sail 2006

Gus
1976 Chrysler 22 Halve Maen - Sail # 595
clair hofmann

oriental launch

Post by clair hofmann »

Jeff
The wildlife ramp on Smith creek is the best ramp in Oriental. I'm not sure about overnight parking there. I do know you could probably leave your truck unlocked for the week and nobody would bother it. There is a boat yard within walking distance up the street you might make arrangements with. Its on Midyette St at Broad. I'll try to come up with the name. You might try going on www.towndock.net and get some more info. Our 26 is docked at our lot up on Bay River. We are working on permits for our own ramp but that won't be done in time to help you.
Clair
Windward

Be there Oct 6 - 13

Post by Windward »

Hi Gus,

Probably arrive 5th or 6th, launch/rig/obsessively tune on 6th, light out with my family on the 7th.

Ocracoke is pretty certain unless the wx is foul. We're tentatively planning to go to Cape Lookout as well, but will depend on weather (the inlet scared both my wife and son before) and schedule (they're driving separately, but they'd really like to head home on the 14th). Thus, not sure if we'll be able to do Cape Lookout with the others or not.

There are pirates and then there are pirates. I've been known to hoist the skull and sabers from time to time, but when with my family I prefer a family friendly event to a waterborne Animal House.

J
Windward

Smith Creek looks good

Post by Windward »

Clair,

Spoke with the NCDNR guy and he confirmed that Smith Creek is open, legal and reasonably secure. Looks like a good launch. My fall back may be heading to Paradise Cove, near Whortonsville, which a friend of mine owns. Water may be a little skinny there for me, and thus will initially try an easier to get to locale with reasonable access to provisions.

Fair Winds,
Jeff