Boat registration

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Leeway

Boat registration

Post by Leeway »

Hello all,

I need help determining my boat year of manufacture. I thought it was a 1981 because what I thought was the HIN ended in 81. After registering the boat by mail I got a letter back from the WI DNR indicating that the HIN is not correct. They say that boats manufactured since 973 will have a 12 character HIN and mine only has 10 digits.

I have some pictures at http://www.flickr.com/gp/9406674@N06/kLtv31 of the ID tab from the stern and the capacity plate in the back of the cockpit. (I'm not sure how to display pictures directly in the message like others have done)

The ID tag says that it is "serial number" 2430301181. Now I am thinking that this boat is much older than from 1981 and probably is from before 1973. Can some with more intimate knowledge of Chrysler boats help me out here?

Thanks,
Lee Hoeppner
Boat: C-15 Man-o-War
Name: Sea'chele
Year: Pre-1973
Archy

Post by Archy »

Hey Leeway -

As I understand it, the hull number you need is "gouged" into the hull on the transom, not on a metal plate. On my c22 it's near the metal plate and the number is somewhat similar.

Cheers!
C22 Smiley :)
Leeway

Post by Leeway »

Thanks Archy.

I didn't get a chance to look this weekend, but I will check this evening when I get home from work. I don't recall seeing any indentations in the hull before, but I wasn't looking for any before either.
Lee Hoeppner
Leeway

Post by Leeway »

I checked this evening and there is no gouged or stamped in HIN on the stern. The only identifiable markings are on the serial number plate. Anyone else have any ideas?

I resubmitted my boat registration with the pictures I linked on this thread and an explaination that I beleive the boat to be pre-1973.
Lee Hoeppner
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

I think you are on the right track - just tell them it is a pre-73 which doesn't have a HIN. That should get you legal with the state no matter what the year really is.

If you had an HIN, it would start with "CBC" with is the manufacturer code for Chrysler Boat Corporation.

Somewhere in my memory I seem to think that the number you are seeing starts with the model number of the boat and then a serial number, but i'm not sure.

Good Luck