chartplotter and Autopilot recommendations

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
ronc98

chartplotter and Autopilot recommendations

Post by ronc98 »

Now that I am ready for some longer trips there are a few things I would like to get for my C-26. I am looking for a decent GPS/chartplotter. I am thinking of getting one that has depth sounder capabilities as well. I would also like to get an autopilot as well. Perhaps something like the autohelm 1000 or something similar to that.

I have been reading a bit but I do not know enough to really know what I want.

I know alot of this really depends upon what kind of sailing I plan on doing. I would have to say much of my sailing will be done at Lake Erie cruising the islands and then in a year or so I will take it to florida and sail around the keys and perhaps do some island hopping there.

Any help would be great.
hotdot

Post by hotdot »

I usually sail alone on my C-26 here in florida and have used a raymarine 1000 for 3 years with good results. I always balance the helm with the centerboard and proper sail combinations so the unit dosent strain or work much underway, but..... In an emergency or when in a heavy following sea I wish I had bought the 2000 unit for its extra control arm speed. I'm planning on going to the Bahamas next april/May and an upgrade to a 2000 autopilot is on the top of my "wish list".
I'm not a fan of chartplotters, to me their more stuff to break at the wrong time. But the biggest reason is (and this is just a personal view) a paper chart is more than just a map of markers and soundings, a chart is a visual diary of places youve been. When I look my Bahamas charts from 4 years ago, I see all my course' written and drawn out with times and dates. I remember what the water looked like and any "interesting objects" that were not listed on the chart. I know paper charts take up space and can be a problem to store onboard but as the years go by they have become more and more important to me.
So my suggestion is (remember opinions are like A-------, everybodys got one!) if youre planning a cruise that will be one to remember, use paper charts that way your trip and the memories of it will never dissappear into the great digital void of chartplotter data.
ronc98

Post by ronc98 »

thanks for the input Hotdog. I agree that a GPS/chartplotter might not really be needed and the old fashion paper chart is the way to go. As it stands now I am looking for an autohelm ST2000. I think that will pretty much do everything I want. Later on I might add a GPS/chartplotter. I will not simply rely on the electronic means but use it as a suppliment to the paper charts.
keysskipper

Post by keysskipper »

I have heard great things about the Simrad, they will not interface with a chartplotter, so if you take Hotdogs advice it is the autotiller for you, check out Ebay for a good deal a new one is 500 or so
ronc98

Post by ronc98 »

I picked up a St2000+ for my boat a few weeks ago. I also picked up a used ST60 tridata head. I love the ST2000+ It makes it much easier to single hand my boat. All of my sailing is solo so the extra hand is nice. The problem is if I ever do fall overboard there is little chance I will make it back on the boat since there is something now attending the tiller. Before it would always turn into the wind and stop. I will have to be a bit more careful now I guess.

Weird thing about the Tridata head, I am using an older ST30 speed transducer and there is a calibration difference when used on the ST60 display. I spent a whole day sailing around as fast as I could and could break 3 knots. I knew I was sailing ALOT fast then that, as it turns out it reads about 1/2 of what I am really doing.

Next purchase is a windvane to interface into the system. Then mext season I will start looking for GPS systems to tie into the whole thing.
keysskipper

Post by keysskipper »

let me know how you like the ST, it WILL interface with their chartplotter, nice for that sail to the out islands, sounds like you need it without the first mate to at least keep her in the wind. I have not installed autotiller yet as I need the practice, we are reformed powerboaters.
Fair Winds, Larry aka Keysskipper
hotdot

Post by hotdot »

Ronc98 excellent choice on that st2000, I wish I would have spent the extra money rather than limit myself to the 1000. How are you powering the A/P? What are you using for a battery power arrangement? I don't know if you've planned on a long cruise but how are going to recharge the batteries assuming you sail and anchor out for a few days?
On a side note: I met a guy who was headed for the Caribbean on a folkboat. He used a raymarine A/P and his plan in case he fell overboard was to tow his dingy with a 100ft painter behind his boat. He claimed to be able to grab the line and get into the dinghy then pull himself up to the mothership. The last I knew he got drunk and the unattended A/P sailed his boat onto a reef near Andros island.
ronc98

Post by ronc98 »

I am still deciding on my power setup. Right now I use a single gelcell battery and while I am not sailing it is recharged via two solar panels. When I rewired the boat I added all the wiring and switch for an extra cell. This is one of the areas I need to plan out during my refit over the winter.

Funny story about the drunken sailor and the autopilot. Right now I have a tether that I can use when the seas get rough so I can always be linked to the boat. I am sure I will hate to wear that all the time. Pulling a dingy behind is a good idea when I am in more open water. right now where I sail there are so many power boats they would get caught up in the line connecting the dingy. The power boats up this way are not the brightest bunch.