Full Moon Sail

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Full Moon Sail

Post by Bhacurly »

Hi Gang,

Well we went out for a Full Moon Sail yesterday. It was a hot day and didn't expect much wind, but we managed to get 35 miles under sail with a steady wind and max speed of 6.3 kts and an average of ~4 kts. We only had to motor ~6 miles. On the water at 1430 and off at 0100... we could've sailed the last few miles into the marina but it was late and we had a headwind. It was good to drop sails and be ready to dock anyway...

It was awesome! Sunset at 2036 and the full moon came out ~ an hour later. I've never sailed under moonlight, very surreal. It was a perfect night for it, warm with continued steady breeze and not a cloud in the sky... saw some shooting stars and a few critters flew by for a short visit, bats mostly! The lake went from a busy sunday afternoon to us being the only boat on the water that we could see for miles.

Started out a with a bang tho, literally,,, on a gybe with a good stiff wind we broke the attachment on the boom for the mainsheet pulley. I did some gerry rigging with a carabiner and we were able to keep going. We'll repair that tommorow when we head back out for a 3 day trip to see more of the north end of the lake...

Picts and video will be posted on my website eventually :lol:

Billy

PS... For some reason I can't attach picts here like you guys have been. It just shows the url but no pict. Any suggestions??

PSS... I have a Google Earth file of this trip but not sure how to share that with you. Is there a way to attach that file???
Gus

Post by Gus »

Good deal! I want to sail at night too, but I'm too chicken :p I hate those accidental gybes when running from the wind. I found online a simple way to rig a preventer (just attach a line to the boom end to the bow cleat)

To attach pictures, I upload the picture to www.flickr.com then come back over here, and under subject you have some buttons, click Img then paste the link, and then click Img again.

[img]your%20link%20with%20the%20picture%20here[/img]

Gus
1976 Chrysler 22 Halve Maen - Sail # 595
ronc98

Post by ronc98 »

one of my favorite sailing trips was at night one evening under a full moon. It is simply amazing.
hotdot

Post by hotdot »

Night sails are the best! I usually try to coordinate my time and trip distance to provide me with an overniter. Down here in Florida its the only way to really see the stars and get a grip on reality. My dad always told me "There nothing there at night thats not there during the day!"
Leeway

Post by Leeway »

[quote="Gus"]To attach pictures, I upload the picture to www.flickr.com then come back over here, and under subject you have some buttons, click Img then paste the link, and then click Img again.

[img] your link with the picture here [/img]

Gus[/quote]

Gus, I use Flickr.com as well, but when I put the link in as you state above and click preview it just lists the link and does not display the picture. One thing I am seeing is that under options on the left side of the reply screen HTML is OFF, but I have it turned on in my profile. Maybe preview does not work for displaying the picture. If the following picture shows up then that is the case.

[img]http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1143/922 ... bc32_b.jpg[/img]
Lee Hoeppner
Boat: C-15 Man-o-War
Name: Sea'chele
Year: Pre-1973
Leeway

Post by Leeway »

I figured it out. It isn't HTML that is the problem, but rather that BBCode has to be enabled (or the disable check box cleared). My profile was setup to disable BBCode. After changing the profile I can now attach pictures.

Lee Hoeppner
Boat: C-15 Man-o-War
Name: Sea'chele
Year: Pre-1973