Keel solidity on C-26

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Guillaume C.

Keel solidity on C-26

Post by Guillaume C. »

Recently my keel got a very hard moment. We've hit some rock at a good speed then the cable broke, letting us in a lots of rock and big waves.... for approx 15 min. The box around the keel got shaked a lot and the sound were horrific to the point I was not sure the boat would be in shape after that incident.

After some underwater inspection I could see that the bracked holding the keel moved a little bit (maybe 1/16) but more importantly the keel have some play. In the full-down position it is not very apparent; the keel can be shaken(as well as the boat) by playing with it underwater but when the keel is half-down it have enought play to hear it kick one side and the other of the keel box, same thing when full up.

But I dont hear these sound while motoring and sailing(just tried moderate waves)

I realize that playing (push-pull)with the keel underwater is not a normal activity but if any of you ever done it, I would love to know if you got similar play or if I broke something that day.
Archy

Post by Archy »

Hi -

When my c22 was on its cradle, I was able to shake the keel back and forth by hand. I *think* this is normal play. I'd say if you don't have water coming in around the keel bolt then you're probably okay.

I'm assuming that the c26 and c22 have similar configurations ?

Watch out for those rocks!

:D

Archy
C22 Smiley :)