boom pin for erecting the mast

Post All Rigging Topics Here
MichiganBill

boom pin for erecting the mast

Post by MichiganBill »

My boat did not come with the pin for attaching the boom to the mast (to work as a gin pole). I see from the manual that it's 5/8" diameter. Can anyone tell me how long the pin should be?

Thanks!
Bill
MichiganBill

Post by MichiganBill »

Okay - poking around the forum I found people referencing between 6 and 9 inches long. I'll get a longer rod and trim as needed.
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

The pin only goes in about 1 1/2 inch into the mast base and only needs to go into the boom far enough so it doesn't pop out accidentally while setting up...6 inches would be plenty I think.
Bill
MichiganBill

Post by MichiganBill »

I didn't want to use threaded rod, as I thought it might chew up the aluminum. I found a 5/8" galvanized grounding rod at Home Depot that I can cut a bit off.
Thanks once again Bill for your help.
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

I had a friend that used a trailer roller axle that he got a Fleet Farm.
In a pinch I have used a 3/8 drive x 3" socket extension from my tool box :shock:
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

FYI: I made that pin from a 5/8 diameter stainless bolt that was only threaded at the end.

I used a cutting wheel to cut the head of the bolt off and used 3 inches of the un threaded shaft! Works perfect. In fact I have made several over the years.

Keep in mind that while the pin will not slip onto the mast, it can and will slip into the end of the boom! LOL! Don't ask how I know and why I just might have needed more than one! LOL!

Scott
Snowdog2

Post by Snowdog2 »

I am using a pin that is only about 3" long. I put on a rubber O-ring that fits on it snugly so that it doesn't accidentally fall into the boom.

I wonder if the longer pin prevents it from falling out when one is raising the mast? The boom and pin separate from the mast when it is close to fully raise when it doesn't matter any more.