North Channel Lake Huron

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Kenr74

North Channel Lake Huron

Post by Kenr74 »

We just got back from a nearly 2 week cruise to the North Channel. We had a wonderful time, and the boat performed beautifully. It is a little tight with 6 of us on board, but much more spacious than our old MacGreggor 22.
We had no problems with stowage, even carrying almost all of the food we would eat. We stored most of the food under the starboard settee, with a few items under the v-berth. The kids keep their clothes in small open laundry baskets that they stowed under the cockpit. I kept tools and miscellaneous gear under the port side settee. Water toys went under the rear berth, and my wife and I kept our clothes in the drawers up front, and in the v-berth with us. We slept the 2 girls under the cockpit, and they boys slept on the settees in the salon with some lee cloths we rigged. The depth sounder I installed as a thru-hull under the port settee worked great. My favorite addition to the boat was the solar panel. It is a 50W panel, and I mounted it on my mast crutch behind the cockpit. It provided all the power we needed to run lights on the boat, and keep our iPads, phones and such fully charged.
My boat came with a small jib on a snap furl roller reefer. It also came with a very large wire luff genoa with its own furling gear. This trip I decided on the wire luff genoa, and I bought a hank on storm sail for higher winds. The big genoa is awesome in light winds. We were able to keep the boat moving with minimal wind. I do miss the ability to reef however. The few times I had to go out on the pitching deck to hank on the storm sail were no fun. I think this winter I will look to have the wire luff sail modified to fit on the roller reefer, or else sell it and buy a new jib that will fit on the roller reefer.
I get lots of compliments on the boat now that she has a new paint job. I take endless delight from telling people I paid $280 on e-bay for the boat. Of course I don't tell them what I have invested since...
For the winter, I plan on adding some hardware for a sensible reefing system. Right now I just tie everything in place with scrap pieces of line. It works, but is way too tedious (especially when the boat is pitching wildly, and I am puking my guts out). Any pictures of set ups are appreciated. I'm gathering ideas from the internet, but Chrysler specific ideas are obviously more helpful.
Thanks to all who contribute to this forum. I have gleaned lots of info that has helped us along the way. Fair winds...

Image2016-09-10 14.40.21 by kenr74, on Flickr

[/img]Image2016-09-10 13.41.59 by kenr74, on FlickrImageImage2016-09-03 10.38.39 by kenr74, on Flickr
[img]
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Awesome update and great pictures!
Thanks for sharing and I guess I should get my sail log updated too! LOL!

Scott
Careyr

North Channel voyage

Post by Careyr »

What a wonderful voyage! That has always been my choice of the number 1 place I'd want to sail to so it was great to have you share that! Wow! That is a story your children will still be talking about when you are old and gray!!lol
I see you live inland in Michigan and am wondering where you set sail from?
Carey
1981 TMI 22: "Ms.Chief"
Kenr74

Post by Kenr74 »

We usually launch out of Lexington. I wouldn't mind finding somewhere I can keep it mast up on the trailer. It seems like there are some options in Bay City. It would be a little bit longer drive, but not having to rig everything would make up for that.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Yup!
I stored Lady Jo in a trailer storage place right by the boat ramp for several years!

I could go down, hook up and launch with the mast and boom already rigged, sails already on just need to take the main sail cover off and the jib bag off!

VERY nice! Hope you find a place!

Scott
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

Great story and great pictures...wonderful.
Bill