My boat has finnaly been launched.

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
astrorad

My boat has finnaly been launched.

Post by astrorad »

Here is a 2 minute GoPro video of the maiden voyage of my boat, Wabi Sabi. We have finally launched her after 5 years of work to get her seaworthy, much to my first mate's relief...mine also.
https://youtu.be/rItOMHBus2c
Bill
Bobby

Post by Bobby »

Congratulations Bill! I think you did a great (and thorough) job.
Did you put the sails up yet?
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

We have not put up the sails yet...we had to rig and launch 6 miles south of our Marina as there is no boat launch in our town that can accomodate a trailer sailor with the mast up. We motored to our slip at about 5 mph and docked her after a long and tiring day. I still need to rig the boom and mainsail, and topping lift. I will be posting some video with the sails up.
Thank you for the kind comments.
Bill
C22KC

Post by C22KC »

Congrats Bill and thanks for posting you progress you tube videos, I found them very helpful.

Walt C-22 #1619
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

Walt...Thank you for your kind comments.
Bill
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Awesome Bill! Congratulations!!
Scott
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

Thank you Scott. You have been a big help in my restoration project.
Bill
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

Congratulations!! I didn't realize it was a five years project! I've only been here for two. Have fun, please let us see the first sail.

Fair winds.
"There is nothing--absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." --Wind in the Willows
Careyr

Post by Careyr »

Bill,
I've watched several videos you made in the last several years and thought the summary of your boat in Oct 15 was impressive!
We have each been working on our own boats for the last five years and you are ahead of me. But I am going at a frenzied rate because I have high hopes of sailing it this season.
I have a question for you about your depth sounder. I have yet to install mine and am wondering how the location you used for the sensor unit is working for you?
I'd like to put mine in the same location you used if it is reading correctly.
I believe I saw it attached in the port hull bottom, not too far to portside of the keel.
It's in a capped 3 or 4 inch pvc?
Thanks
Carey
1981 TMI 22: "Ms.Chief"
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

Carey...It seems to be working properly. It is just aft and slightly port of the thru hull where the keel cable passes thru. It is in a 4 inch PVC fitting that is designed to couple PVC to a standard pipe thread. The threaded end is facing up and the smooth bottom end is caulked to the hull with 100% silicone. I did exactly what Capt.Scott described by notching the threaded end so the sensor cable could pass thru and a plastic threaded pipe plug could cap the end so the water inside doesn't splash out or evaporate too quickly. The sensor needs to be submerged in water to operate properly. I have heard of some using RV antifreeze also.
Bill
Careyr

Post by Careyr »

Thanks for all the info, Bill. I believe I will install mine just like you did. After hearing your report, if it works I sure ain't gonna try fixin' it!lol

Speaking of liquids to put in the tube, some years back in a sailboating magazine a sailor wrote a descriptive article on how he made a nifty setup, almost just like yours. The only differences were that he expoxied his sender and the tube it was in, both to the hull, sealed it up and filled it with vegetable oil which he said was for year round use. I can see where anti-freeze would also be an option.

Is your sensor fastened down to the hull, inside the 4" PVC?

Thanks again for all the info!!
Carey
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

My Humminbird depth sounder is one that is meant for transom mounting. It has a forward and aft direction to it, so I cut my slot in the PVC in the aft part of the fitting. I simply placed the sensor in the fitting and it is held in the proper orientation because the cable comes off the aft part of the sensor. I did not epoxy the sensor to the hull. I thought that I would try it that way before gluing it down. It works great so I will not bother to use epoxy.
Bill
Careyr

Post by Careyr »

Thanks for the info. Mine is also meant to be a transom mount so I believe I will try it your way, also.
Thanks again, Bill!
Carey
rc12ls

Post by rc12ls »

Congratulations, I'm work to that maiden launch myself. happy sailing. :wink: Eddie