Virtual Survey?

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
MichiganBill

Virtual Survey?

Post by MichiganBill »

I'm still emptying the compartments and learning what I bought (new to me last Friday). I know it's a project - but it came with a trailer, sails, and a recently rebuilt engine for $1,500. That would be less than the cost of plywood and epoxy to start from scratch (isn't great how we can rationalize anything).

I'm sharing some photos for general advice and feedback. I welcome any comments. This is my first time using photobucket (it's not clear to me how to add photos here - I'm a Ludite), hopefully this works.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s650.photobucket.com/user/Michig ... "></iframe>

The bridge had water damage and was cracked. The winch came off on the tow home (I now know to support the keel when towing). I haven't worked with glass before. I assume I need to cut out the soft plywood from below and glass in some fresh plywood. Is there an additional way I should support this?

I have a copy of Don Casey's This Old Boat on the way!
Thanks,
Bill[/img]

Maybe this is a better link for the photos.....

http://s650.photobucket.com/user/MichiganBill/library/
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

You definitely have some work ahead of you. Good thing you have some knowledge on glassing. You can also add some type of support system inside the cabin, beneath the companionway step area.
Bill
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Who hoo!
Don't look at as work! LOL!

Think more like . . . . I am building a model ship! One to One scale! LOL!

I notice you have a ground wire on your keel bolt! Nice! Someone cared for that boat at some time! I bet you will see other signs of love as you work her over!

Enjoy!
Scott
MichiganBill

Post by MichiganBill »

Thanks for the comments - and encouragement!
I've been catching up on fiberglass repair techniques on Youtube. I think it's all doable......but I won't put a timing estimate on it :)
monty

Post by monty »

Chrysler did a goofy thing with some of those plywood backed areas, they didn't use enough resin/glass to keep water out - they used just enough to keep water in! Some areas would have been better left with no plywood backing at all.
Messing About
78 C26D (I added the 'D' cause it's got the Volvo diesel!) #490