It's been two weeks!

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

It's been two weeks!

Post by CaptainScott »

Well, we are home again!

We spent the last two weeks aboard Destiny visiting places in the Canadian Gulf Islands including Victoria BC and also in the US San Juan Islands!

Pretty standard vaca for us like the others I've posted in the past.

The first day we visited with Canadian friends and had a great evening with them, later in the first week, we were in Victoria BC where our daughter joined us for the rest of the trip including her 9 month old Keeshond! What a hand full with our Corgi also aboard! LOL!

Once back in the US our Son in Law joined us for the final week providing a boat full with 4 adults and two dogs! LOL! The weather was spectacular! Hot and clear all days minus 1 where it really made up for the lack of rain this year!

We did manage to purchase and take with us a new to us a Rendova 14' Deluxe dinghy with a 50 hp motor! What a hoot zipping along at 30 mph! LOL! This thing can plane easily with four adults and two dogs! It made for some very fast trips here and there for supplies and such!

Given our 11'-15' tides this year and the heavier dinghy I was very concerned about beaching the boat and getting stuck as it is very heavy.
So, I purchased a device called an "Anchor Buddy". In short it is a very large bungee chord! 35 feet from shore I'd drop an anchor off the stern with the anchor buddy attached to the anchor and the stern of the dinghy. Then we'd motor to shore the rest of the way. We all exit the dinghy taking a 50' line tied to the bow. Now just let the dinghy go! It gets pulled back off shore and is anchored nicely away from tidal affects and surf! Very simple and cool setup that I'd recommend to anyone! I have no long term info on the anchor buddy and suspect like any bungee type system it will have a limited life span however for our use it is great!

It is good to be home but I would rather be back on the water!

Scott
Papax3

West coast strut

Post by Papax3 »

!

I've been hearing about the disaster that is the west coast... Cali drought, Alaskan fires, and now an algae plume that is costing the Washington and Oregon fishing industries 9 million a month in lost commerce...
Did you see any algae/ big changes on your trip?

Thanks,
Bill
We're just about finished with refurbishing our Chrysler 22, she's slipped, and ready for fun!

Lake Quachita, HotSprings Arkansas
Bill Williams
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

No big changes on our trip however water was an issue. Not available in the Gulf Islands (Canada side ) due to dry conditions. San Juan's (US side) was also dry but we could get water.

We carry 130 gallons though so it was an issue we were aware of but not a problem. One large tank and one smaller.

Victoria was in a stage 4 drought which is pretty mild. We can stock up water but no washing of boats etc.

Diane and I can go for a week taking showers, rinsing dog as necessary, dishes, and fresh water head in forward head etc and only then need a refill.

Once the kids joined us the water consumption doubled and we had to be a bit more careful. Doh!

We saw no signs of algae beyond normal. Most if not all wild fires are in Eastern Wa on the other side of the mountains so we do not get impacted by that much either.

Scott