Help with 1978 16' Mutineer

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
DaveGeller

Help with 1978 16' Mutineer

Post by DaveGeller »

Just aquired this boat in almost ready to sail condition. Can anyone who has or has had this boat tell me about there experience with it? I paid $400.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Congratulations on your new boat and welcome to the forum!

You are sure to get more responses so hang tight!

Scott

PS: I forgot to mention if you click the "Documents" link in my signature it will take you to our offsite repository that I maintain and you will find Chrysler Sailing documents including the manual for the Mutineer!
Anhinga
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Anhinga »

Great boat. Lots of parts available and active racing fleets are fairly common! Also, many parts are common to the Buccaneer so for some parts hunting, look there as well. Chrysler mutts by me are listing between 700 and 1000 so at 400 bucks you got a deal!

For a transcribed manual go to http://chryslersailing.lizards.net/ and drill down to get your boat specifics. The boat manuals on this site are a bit better though!

Cheers

Jim k
Guster

Post by Guster »

I have one, it's a fantastic boat. Be sure to check out http://www.mutineer15.org/

You will find all the info you need there. $400 is a great deal if it doesn't need much work. I paid $1000 for mine (1980 Chrysler/TMI model) several years ago, but it was above average condition. They are easy to sail and have a nice logical layout. In the right wind and sea conditions they can be a rocket (i suppose most any sailboat can). One day the wind was blowing strong and the lake was busy with powerboat traffic making for 1-2ft choppy water. These conditions made it easy to get the mutt on a plane. The portable GPS I had with was showing 9mph most of the time and a fastest speed of 10.4. I was wet head to toe, but it was one of the best sailing days I have ever had.

Dan
70's Barnett Butterfly "Blue Jean"
1976 C-22