Snapped spreader

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
forg3

Snapped spreader

Post by forg3 »

Today, we took our C22 out for the first time to race at Rush Creek in Texas. Got to the start and the spreader snapped. Haven't taken down the mast yet to look at it but it appears that a solid post that the spreader slides over snapped.

Any suggestions on how to fix?

Thanks,

Jeff
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Ouch. Post some pics when you get the mast down...I'll bet somebody has done the repair you find needing..
Anhinga
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Anhinga »

Many of these, my C-26 included, are a simple threaded rod that threads into a plug inside each spreader tube. The fix is really easy, simply replace the broken threaded rod but watch for a compression sleeve inside the mast. The sleeve won't come out with the post but since it's a floating fit it can get mis-aligned inside the mast when the post is withdrawn. Your best bet is to put another rod though the sleeve and mast to keep it all aligned while you service the spreaders

All the best!

-Jim K
forg3

Thank you

Post by forg3 »

Will do.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

A simple and quick fix for replacing the spreader post on a C22 that was broken is to simply use a stantion base. West Marine sells one that works nicely! Note instead of the spread sliding over a post, it slips into a sleeve!

Keep in mind it is not a perfect fit as you are bolting stainless to aluminum and a nice barrier between like rubber or whatever is nice. You are also bolting a flat bottom to a rounded mast so care must be taken.

A wood shim could accomplish the barrier and perfect fit if you care however I went without for years without issue.

Scott