Winter Reading

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Winter Reading

Post by EmergencyExit »

Hello All,
Usually when sitting out the February yuckies I re-visit the same old favorite books like Ernest K. Gann's Fate Is The Hunter. (and I admit Wind In The Willows by Kenneth Grahame too)..
This year I picked up Gann's sailing book "Song Of The Sirens" and am enjoying it enough to recommend

"Song of the Sirens is rich in detail, colorful characters, and poignant insights. It is the story of one man's love affair with the old boats he has owned or chartered. Focusing on his favorites (his 17 sirens), the book explores the fascination man has with the sea and attempts to explain the allure of the vessels he has designed to sail upon her. Like the sirens of Greek mythology who, with enchanting songs, lured by sailors to dash their ships against hidden rocks, Gann's ships are seductresses, tempting and urging him on until he plunges forward into their purchase, unmindful of the dangers that lie ahead. And dangers there are aplenty.
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

thanx for the tips...I will look for these
Bill
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

Since the only reading I get is during the commute on the bus, all I have time for is my Good Old Boat and Sail magazines (cover to cover):wink:
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

I've been disappointed with Sail magazine since they switched to the new format...there doesn't seem to be as much content that interests me and what is there is somewhat less thorough.
Bill
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Bill, I'm on my last subscription issue and haven't renewed yet. Kinda thinking same as you. I do enjoy the 'first person accounts' stories tho.
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

EE...I agree I like the How to articles and the voice of experience stories also.
Bill
Kenr74

Post by Kenr74 »

I have read a few sailing books this winter. I know I am late to the party, but I enjoyed Bumfuzzle. I found their take on their circumnavigation to be a bit refreshing from some of the "experts" on the popular sailing forums who seem to joy in telling everyone else why they can't or shouldn't do what they are doing. I also enjoyed Tightwads On The Loose. The author did a very good job of capturing the emotional aspect of long term voyaging. They were also closer to my financial reality than most sailing authors, which made it more interesting to me.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

WOW!
I've been very lame this year.

Almost all of my reading less a book or two has been sheet music for my guitar! LOL! I stepped outside of my normal classical style and picked up an acoustic. I think my bride prefers listening to me play the likes of Kansas and Beatles vs Francisco Tarrega !! LOL!

Scott
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

CaptainScott wrote: I think my bride prefers listening to me play the likes of Kansas and Beatles vs Francisco Tarrega !! LOL!

Scott
Hey Scott,

Don't forget to throw some Dan Fogelberg in there ! Look up the tabs for Longer, but be sure to use the ones that show open G tuning (DGDGBD), that's the original recording way.

And to challenge yourself try Stars from the old album "Home Free" - hard to finger pick that one just right...
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

OH man! I had no idea what song Longer was until about 2 seconds on youtube! Doh! I SOOOO remember that song! That actually sounds very manageable! Very repetitive and slow with minor chord changes! Just finishing up with "Norwegian Wood" this next week. Drop D tune there.

We are off to the San Juans first thing in the AM on Destiny. We will take some friends with us and meet more there for a very small low key wedding. I was TOLD to bring a guitar. Other than a bit cold, below freezing at night but in the 50's during the day, should be a very nice trip!

Scott