Rigging Question

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Rigging Question

Post by hp18carr »

A call for information from the Chrysler brain trust... sorry it's not about a chrysler per say but a rigging question on the 16' American fiberglass sailboat I came across a few days past. Does anyone have an idea on just what the horse shoe looking thing is for and how it functions? The hardware and line it was grouped with looks to be a type of mainsheet. The first thing that comes to mind is that it must fit around the boom itself. Can anyone out there confirm this... the only wording on the item is Allen holt.

Thanks
Terrence
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

Looks like it goes on the boom...is the boom a furling type boom?
Bill
Reality

Post by Reality »

maybe something like this one on eBay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Holt-Allen-Pro- ... d8&vxp=mtr
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hp18carr »

Bill

This is a fairly simple little sailboat, I'll try and link to a video on youtube to give you a feel of it. This is a rigging video but no horse shore looking thing to be found. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gj72oSKm9wk

Terrence
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

astrorad wrote:Looks like it goes on the boom...is the boom a furling type boom?
Could be. One of the problems with roller boom furling (or rotating mast furling ) was that after you wrapped the sail around the boom there was no way to have a vang or other device attached to the boom, since the bails were under the sail. Those could be slid to the back of the boom, the boom could be rolled, and then the horseshoe slid back over the boom and sail.
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

rigging

Post by hp18carr »

Thanks all for the input, and any others that may make an observation. it would seem the rotating boom line of thinking is the most likely use of this item. E.E. would the factor that this item is moveable hinder its function as part of the mainsheet or would the tension on the line hold it in place under sail?

Thanks All
Terrence
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: rigging

Post by EmergencyExit »

hp18carr wrote:E.E. would the factor that this item is moveable hinder its function as part of the mainsheet or would the tension on the line hold it in place under sail?

Thanks All
Terrence
I saw a pic of an A16 sailing online at sailingtexas.com, and it looks like the mainsheet runs to the end of the boom ? If so then maybe this is just so you can roll the boom without disconnecting the mainsheet system. The Cal 21 had a tang that hung down loosely from the boom end and the mainsheet block attached to that so that the boom could roll.

May have to just try it out and see ! Cute boat too.
clair hofmann

Post by clair hofmann »

I'm having trouble seeing what the black thing is attached to that ring. I see a block but does the black part have grooves in it? It looks like it might be bigger in diameter than the boom. My guess is it doesn't go with that boat.

Did you check your PM since Saturday?

Clair
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

rigging

Post by hp18carr »

Clair

Here is a bit clearer photo of the item or items, the smaller block to the right came off the aft of the boom. I had taped them together so not to misplaceit. E.E. is right I won't really see until i get the mast and boom up and see how it all fits. I got your PM I'll drop you a PM sometime today, had my hands full prepping my back porch for rescreening.

Good sailing
Terrence
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

You should be able to tell if the boom rotates by looking at the gooseneck attachment that connects boom to mast. If the boom can rotate while the gooseneck stays still then it furls...only a guess here.
Bill
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

I watched the video...I think that the horseshoe thing goes at the end of the boom if there is not an attachment tang there already. the other little block attaches underneath the boom on a short track mid way forward. That is a good video.
Bill
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Bill I was thinking the same thing until I watched the video again. Am thinking the block at the end would not be covered by the sail after furling, and would always face down after rolling, but the block in the middle (where the video one has the short track)would be covered after a rollup. With the horse shoe in the middle that would be prevented.

(Geez Terrence go rig the thing, you're killing us with suspense... :wink: )
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

I really doubt that it is a furling boom though...in the video they run part of the mainsheet thru that mid boom block on the underside and thru the fairlead on the cockpit sole. That is where they show the helmsman controlling the main. The other end of the mainsheet runs aft thru the block at the boom end and probably ties off on a cleat on the transom or cockpit sole aft. The boom in the video appears to be a standard gooseneck fitting.
Bill
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

Terrence...can you take some pics of the boom?
Bill
monty

Post by monty »

It's for a mid boom sheet attachment for boom roller reefing. Boom end attachment was more common, but that would depend on where the main sheet track or eye was located in relation to the boom.
Messing About
78 C26D (I added the 'D' cause it's got the Volvo diesel!) #490
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

rigging

Post by hp18carr »

Sorry guys... I did not realize this would cause such a buzz of curiosity. The guy I got it from was a third party and knew nothing of how this little sailboat was rigged. I would throw everything up but one side of the old mast tabernacle (holding tooth) has broken off... don't know if i would trust the mast up just yet. I will try and get some photos up of the boom today and how best this odd system (to me) would seem to work as I see it.

Good sailing
Terrence
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

rigging

Post by hp18carr »

well here are a few rushed photos of the boom and how I think the rigging should look. It looks to run just like the one in the video... but the horse-shore looking thing seems to wont to fill the mid boom position. My misgivings are can a moveable part fill this position? Also with a standard boom to mast fitting it is unable to rotate. If I'm looking at this all wrong fill me in. :(

Good Sailing
Terrence
monty

Post by monty »

The part in question is known as a reefing claw :

http://www.wayfarer-international.org/W ... efing.html

This pic shows mainsheet run as per the video -

http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=7489

I would tie off the halyards to the mast cleats, using the deck blocks puts unnecessary strain on the cabin top.

I thought the rigging looked unusual and then found out they also made the Aqua Cat (my first sailboat) which was the oddest contraption I ever sailed.
Messing About
78 C26D (I added the 'D' cause it's got the Volvo diesel!) #490
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

rigging

Post by hp18carr »

Thanks again for all the information guys... when I get around to working the boom I'll most likely update my mainsheet a bit.

Good Sailing
Terrence